Too many bell peppers and onions.

holliewould

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have at least 50 bell peppers and about 20 lbs. of spanish onions. I hate to see them go to waste. I gave as many as I could away but this is what I have left. What can I do with them? I've never heard of canning onions, and I know peppers turn to mush after freezing. Any suggestions? Thanks!

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Where do you live? ;)

I have frozen peppers with fine success. I cut them into strips and laid them on cookie sheets, then "flash froze" them. After they were solid, I dumped them into freezer bags. It's not like eating fresh, of course, but they were great for stir-fries and soup.

How about French onion soup? That uses up at least 4 good-sized onions per batch... Sometimes I saute onions until carmelized and then stick the mess of it into the freezer for later use... Are the sweet onions the ones that don't store so well?

ETA: Also, how about lots of stuffed peppers using your onions in the mixture? You could freeze the stuffed peppers and then pull them out for fast meals this fall/winter.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sounds like you should make MANY jars of salsa to store for the winter. You can always send me whats left! hehehe :D

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I do the same thing with peppers and onions both.

I also make a very large pot of either dirty rice or jambalya and stuff the peppers with it and then freeze them (don't cook the peppers). When you are ready to eat them get them out, cover them in some type of maranara sauce and bake them at 350 for a couple hours (just keep an eye on them). All you are doing is heating the stuffing and cooking the pepper but since you are putting them in frozen it will take a bit.

holliewould

Leafing Out
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Where do you live? ;)

I have frozen peppers with fine success. I cut them into strips and laid them on cookie sheets, then "flash froze" them. After they were solid, I dumped them into freezer bags. It's not like eating fresh, of course, but they were great for stir-fries and soup.

How about French onion soup? That uses up at least 4 good-sized onions per batch... Sometimes I saute onions until carmelized and then stick the mess of it into the freezer for later use... Are the sweet onions the ones that don't store so well?

ETA: Also, how about lots of stuffed peppers using your onions in the mixture? You could freeze the stuffed peppers and then pull them out for fast meals this fall/winter.
I live in the keys. I can't believe I didn't think of caramalizing the onions and popping them in the freeze. What about canning caramalized onions? Do you think I could do that? And for the peppers, I've froze bells many times and when i reuse them they are not crispy. Kind of a mooshy texture. Bluck

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
holliewould said:
What about canning caramalized onions? Do you think I could do that?
AfAIK you need a recipe with a considerable acid quotient (like balsamic vinegar) that has been specifically tested for canning, or you would need to pressure-can them. I find that caramelized onions freeze really nicely, though.

And for the peppers, I've froze bells many times and when i reuse them they are not crispy. Kind of a mooshy texture. Bluck
The trick is to use them in things where they were going to get that way anyhow :) like spanish omelets (well, depending how you prefer your omelet filling), topping for burgers or sausage, poultry stuffing, anything involving rice, etc.

I don't suppose any of the peppers are still on the plants? Cuz if they are, just let them ripen to red and then you can roast them and either can 'em as pickled peppers or freeze 'em as roasted red peppers.

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i just cut peppers in half, remove the seeds and freeze. I wouldnt eat them raw after thawed as they arent as firm but in chilli or cooked foods they are just fine. With onions I chop or slice them before freezing.

irinuca

Sprout
Reaction score
Ever tried roasting the peppers? More of an European thing but you might like them. And they freeze well.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My onions did not do so well so when they went on sale in the store I bought some and chopped them up and froze them in a gallon freezer bag and when I need some for omelets, soups, stews, etc I just get a hand full out of the bag and use.

As for the peppers, great I now have Bell Pepper envy, thanks LOL They just don't do well on this farm so I have to substitute banana peppers which do great. Grow4Food had a good idea about stuffed peppers and popping them in the freezer.

If you have a dehydrator they do well in that and can also be added to meatloaf, soups, stews. I have also frozen chopped peppers and used them in omelets, soups, stews etc.

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh how I wish I lived near you. You have some good suggestions here, I would chop and saute the peppers and onions together with a little olive oil and then freeze. Would be a perfect thing to add to tomato sauce. I am very envious........

Anne

Latest posts