Tools That Disappear

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Do you lose tools, loan them out never to be seen again or have them stolen? I know this sounds like a simple solution, but when I searched (I like to search and see if there is an answer already posted first.) I didn't find this suggestion. Get a couple of contrasting, brightly colored spray cans of paint and paint the handles. Makes your tools easy to see and identify.

I know that this is a pretty basic idea, but I need the post count so that I can create a signature and avatar. :he

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am just amazed at the behavior of one of my neighbors. (This isn't the neighbor to my house. I have multiple gardens and this is a neighbor to where I've been gardening for a good long time.) This fella leaves tools out in his yard for YEARS!! Now, I'm not kidding you.

Of course, after a year or 2 of sitting out in the weather - even a brightly painted shovel handle isn't going to be much good. The nice sharp blade isn't so nice and sharp anymore and it'll be pretty rusty.

The reason that shovel is/was nice and sharp? That's because he only uses it once and then . . . there it sits, year after year!

This behavior isn't just confined to hand tools either: He left a rototiller out all year, probably still out there. His lawn mower never makes it into his 3 car garage, either. (Would it surprise you to know that there are ZERO cars in that garage?) No, the lawn mower may make it into the protection of a tree but . . . he left an open ratchet set on the mower more than half the summer, under that tree!

This is truly remarkable behavior but it also seems a little surprising that the tools aren't stolen. What I can only think is that they look too much like "work" so nobody wants to touch them . . .

Sorry, your post gave me a chance to vent . . . I just wish that my tools were always in perfect shape, always handy, always up to the task and . . . would love me back.

Steve :rolleyes:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't loan tools. If they want to borrow a tool, they have to borrow me with it and I'm not free!
I have however lost many books that way, maybe I should spray paint the covers like Oldguy suggests.....or maybe I should quit loaning books out. :/

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I had a nickel for every time I misplaced my small garden shovel, I would be a very rich gardener!! I was in Home Depot one day and saw that they were selling heavy duty looking hand shovels for a buck! I bought 5 of them! There is at least a small chance I might find one, when I need it! The only thing I misplace more often are my clippers...They have a red handle too!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
If I had a nickel for every time I misplaced my small garden shovel, I would be a very rich gardener!! I was in Home Depot one day and saw that they were selling heavy duty looking hand shovels for a buck! I bought 5 of them! There is at least a small chance I might find one, when I need it! The only thing I misplace more often are my clippers...They have a red handle too!
Same w/ my dibbler(s) I have several now so I can find at least one when I need it.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
You need a holster for those clippers Lesa! It's probably the handiest tool item I posses.
Yeah, when i worked for the garden company we were REQUIRED to buy our own clippers and have them on us at all times, so we all had some kinda holster or method of keeping them. My method resulted in holes poked into the back pockets of my pants... But i never lost them!! When you visit many gardens a day you get used to checking that all your tools are in the truck before you leave!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
thistlebloom said:
You need a holster for those clippers Lesa! It's probably the handiest tool item I posses.
Yeah, when i worked for the garden company we were REQUIRED to buy our own clippers and have them on us at all times, so we all had some kinda holster or method of keeping them. My method resulted in holes poked into the back pockets of my pants... But i never lost them!! When you visit many gardens a day you get used to checking that all your tools are in the truck before you leave!!
Haha! I'm familiar with the holes in the back pocket routine too Heather. At some point the hole gets large enough for you to get the clippers from top or bottom :p . I found that after awhile it was putting pressure on my sciatic nerve, so I got a holster and it's much better.
I leave tools on jobs occasionally, but never my clippers :) .

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OldGuy43 said:
I know that this is a pretty basic idea, but I need the post count so that I can create a signature and avatar. :he
It looks like you got your post count!!!

THANX RICH

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
thistlebloom said:
When I had my plant nursery I used to have them with me in a holster at all times. It's surprising how many uses you find for them other than what they were intended for. Bottle opener., light duty wire cutters, pliers etc.

Latest posts