Totally blank slate need ideas....picture heavy

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So finally have taken the steps to improve things here. Ripped out the front row of retaining wall blocks since they were not doing anything but make it difficult to mow. Seriously 1 row of blocks won't do anything. Blocks crumbled so recycled them into the gravel driveway.

Also tore out the burning bush that someone planted literally on the very corner so it had nowhere to grow and it just crowded the porch. That's compost. That thing bugged me ever since we bought the place. Terrible planning on someone's part.

There were maybe a dozen Stella D'Oro day lilies that I dug up and saved.

The grey fence is an X pen (for those who have puppies) or collapsable play area for my son to cruise around in.

The bed was originally about 2ft from the edge of the porch and followed it around to the side of house. The faint brown line is the edge of the newly expanded bed.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Side view. There are 2 jack mani clematis that are going on the side railing here.

There is a weeping cherry tree that I planted 2 yrs ago (we've been there for literally 3 yrs now in a couple weeks) the rock is a polyester well cover. The little rock was one I found in the yard it's nit normally stacked up like that.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Going to rototill the rest of it I did the original bed first.

image.jpeg

Picture of the pots on our rail.

Biggest thing now is filling in the blanks. We have other day lilies to add, some iris, but after that we have a lot of plants to fill in the gaps.

Southern exposure, LOTS OF SUN. We have put no shortage of sun here. Zone 5-6 but usually plan on zone 5 to be on the safe side.

Ideas? Suggestions? What would you do? My wife prefers pastels when plants bloom and goal is a well planned out perennial bed.

One thing is probably no roses. My wife likes them but really don't want to have to plan the bed around them and their needs. Eventually I'm going to do a rose bed in a different spot all together and it will be designed for roses.

Fire away.....

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
For starters, you definitely need trees closer to the house. That poor thing looks like it's sticking out in the middle of nowhere! lol After that, I would add some curving foundation beds. I would also make some type of low beds surrounding your lawn. You need some type of separation from the lawn just expanding into never land.

Mary

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's actually about 10ft from the corner of the house. It's the angles of the pictures. There isn't much for perspective. I based that on mature spread so it wasn't growing into the house. It's a pretty young weeping cherry.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, definitely more trees. For privacy and shade.
Or are you talking about that bed you have outlined and partially tilled in the front of your house?

Shrubs for structure and winter interest, perennials for color.
Is that a weeping cherry?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The bed that I outlined and partially tilled yes. Sorry I wasn't more clear on that. That's what I need suggestions for. The new bed I edged and the old bed I rototilled. I am going to rototill the new bed as well but it was dinner time.

Yes it's a weeping cherry.

There are 2 pines farther out and a mature Cleveland Pear on the other side. There used to be matching Cleveland pear which was where I stood but lost it in an ice storm 2 yrs ago. The stump served as a good vantage point.

Plan is to add more trees but the expanded bed took priority as that's what my wife wanted to work on since her health has improved.

Last edited:

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
South. Front of the house faces south so the side of the house you see faces west.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom I know you're paying attention I'm using an Ipad so I've got a touch screen so it's posted for me before I was done. Problem is you're so efficient that I see your reply when edit my message to fix/finish my message :D

Latest posts