Transplant a mature Wisteria

homestead holdout

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HI! - newbie here.... Can I do this? This guy is not flowering and the vine is taking over an area to close to my good sun garden to give up... It's also climbing up an evergreen because it doesnt have the proper arbor for its size. I'd like to move it to a sunny chain link fence area and let it climb along to it heart's content. I've read that you can't transplant them, but then been told that you cant kill them... What do you think?

6498_picture_328.jpg

6498_picture_327.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have moved adult wisteria before without any problems.

You should wait until dormancy. Once all the leaves have fallen off just simply spade 12-18 inches away from the base of the plant. Dig down at least that depth; try not to break the root-ball, but do not worry when you spade through that you are cutting roots.

Trim all the top branching down to about 12 inches off the ground or a bit more depending on the starting height you would like to work with.

Then plant your wisteria in its new location; do not forget to water, and be sure to add water to the bottom of the hole prior to planting so that the roots do not dry out. Watering through the Winter is crucial if you do not have a supportive water system such as rain or snow. I typically water every 7 days during the winter dormancy, but I am also in the high desert.

You can ensure that the plant does not freeze accidentally by placing large stones around the base of the plant. The sun heats the stones during the day and then through the night it releases the stored up warmth.

Goodluck, ...if you do not have a place set for replanting you can always find an old 15-30 gallon nursery pot and plant it until Spring when you can move it into the garden where you want.

Either way I doubt this will be hard at all, :)

Ron

homestead holdout

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
AWESOME! I'm so excited to be able to move it since it's got such great potential to cover up an ugly area that also needs privacy (if you can imagine we need privacy on 2acres, they are developing all around us). THANK you SO much!!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If it is not too huge and old you should be able to do it, assuming a strong back :) It will look terrible for a few years I expect but it should come back, at least from the ground or from the basal portion of the 'branches' even if there should be extensive dieback.

Although, frankly it might be a lot easier to just remove it i.e do your best to kill it and dig it out, and just plant a new wisteria in the new location. A small healthy potgrown plant would probably take off faster and attain attractive growth form faster than a cut back and transplanted older specimen, I would guess.

BTW, often the reason for wisterias not flowering is that the plant is too "happy" -- too much root room, too nutrient-rich soil. Somewhat starving the plant, by eliminating watering/fertilizing and/or by root pruning it somewhat, can help.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
4952538.gif

H Holdout

Greensage45 has the right plan.

The vine looks as if you could dig a nice size root ball and move this fine vine.

Take your time and dig careful and good luck!

steps1.gif

Joe