Transplanting Rhubarb

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was given 3 very large clumps on Rhubarb and need to move them. Am I better of waiting until they start to grow leaves and then moving or do it before they start? I would also like to divide them out a little to fit in longer smaller rows to grow together more, so again should that be done now or wait? Or does it even really matter when for either?:hu

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me! One of my rhubarb 'shrubs' really needs dividing this year. Mine are just starting to poke out of the ground.

Best to do it now, before growth starts, or early Fall is okay.

Good info at the Iowa State U

Although they don't mention - remove woody parts that older large clumps tend to get in the center if they haven't been divided in several years.
Wonderful gift .. congrats! :celebrate I love rhubarb!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Any special way to divide it? Anything NOT to do?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The last clump I divided was a monster! ... too big for me to dig as a clump. So I whacked away at it. :lol:

The roots can get very large and gnarly, it's okay to be brutal.
If you can, dig out the clump and then just cut it up. I use a sharp knife or hatchet.
I leave about 3-4 eyes (or buds) per division, but 1-2 eyes will make a new plant.

Here's a good visual ...Allotment blog (down the page a bit)

Other than that, it would be good to have your spot ready for the new plants so the roots won't dry out too much... or keep them moist in a bag or bucket. And bring a sturdy shovel ... :D

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Now is a good time, although I prefer wait until I can push away the topmost layer of soil to see the 'noses' oft eh rhubarb so I can be certain exactly where it is and don't accidentally massacre it while trying to dig it up :p

You will get earlier better harvests if you divide it into fewer larger pieces, although as Lavender2 says, you CAN whack it down to 1-2 eye pieces as long as you don't mind losing a few and don't mind waiting several years for the divisions to return to useable size plants.

Good luck, have fun (although it can be more like *work* LOL),

Pat

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok, I went and got it a little bit ago. I am not sure if I killed it or not but I had no idea that the roots go so deep. I dug down about 12 in (full depth of shovel) and just lifted the plant but the root only seemed to be getting bigger at that depth so when I lifted I broke them. Did I kill it? I am not going to split it at all (it was only about the size of a basketball). Hopefully it will be ok?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's really impossible NOT to break off many of the large roots. I bet you did just fine. :)
The divisions I have planted have done well with these big roots broke off at about a foot, often times much less.
As long as it has some root, some crown, and some buds, it will be okay.
Without being able to see it, I guess I don't know if I would divide it or not ... :hu

A little more info for you ... :D ... Propagating Rhubarb

Latest posts