Transplanting Sage????

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am moving to Georgia and have a lot of work and love invested in my gardening. (I have to leave my greenhouse :(, but I don't think I will need it). All my herbs are heirlooms I started from seed and I bought pots to transplants some of them for the trip because I am not starting all over.

My Sage is pretty big but I started it from seed, I know that it is an heirloom and that it isn't a gmo. I want to take one of my sage bushes with me. Is it possible to dig it and transplant? I have never grown thing from cuttings so I am nervous about that.

Edit: This is my 1000 post. Wow!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hunkie, I have moved my sage but in the fall. I would water it very thoroughly and dig as big a hole around it as you can. I would then "plant" it in a large garbage bag and plant it in the ground as soon as you can. Hopefully it will recover by next spring.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Go ahead and take cuttings of it too. You can take cuttings of willow branches, the limber tips, and cut into small pieces and soak in water. Willow has such strong rooting capabilities that the water you soak it in can be used as a rooting solution. Soak your sage cuttings in the willow water for several days before planting. Then water with willow water. Since you'll be moving, take some willow cuttings with you to make more willow water. probably would be a good idea to water your transplanted sage with willow water too!

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
good luck moving your sage and good luck with your move to Georgia. my dd & her hubby live in Atlanta now, but are moving back to Texas in a few months. :weee

not sure why, but I have the worst luck with sage. I've got two plants now that I've had for maybe a couple of months. that's about as long as I seem to be able to have sage.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
Go ahead and take cuttings of it too. You can take cuttings of willow branches, the limber tips, and cut into small pieces and soak in water. Willow has such strong rooting capabilities that the water you soak it in can be used as a rooting solution. Soak your sage cuttings in the willow water for several days before planting. Then water with willow water. Since you'll be moving, take some willow cuttings with you to make more willow water. probably would be a good idea to water your transplanted sage with willow water too!
Hey Bay - I've been told that a tree along my driveway is a curly willow. Would cuttings from that work to make 'willow water'? Or is it just the weeping willow?

eta: oh, nevermind. I just googled curly willow and my tree is not twisted and contorted like the pictures. I think what I've got is what we've always called a pin oak.
The last time my vet was out, we were talking about the oaks around my house and I said that the one near the creek was getting big too - that's when I was told it wasn't an oak but a willow.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
The weather has changed suddenly in Southern Oregon. I think its time to do some overwintering of some of my plants I brought up. First one to get some slips to root will be a Texas Sage (Salvia). I bought it from the Master Gardeners in Angels Camp, held onto it for 2 years and now its been thriving! I wonder if it will make it thru the winter here, being outside under an eave?

https://imgur.com/t1aOpXn

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
cant determine how to attach the photo so you all don't have to click a link. Since I think if I add it this way (see above) you will be able to see all my photos??? Like the horrible accident last week in Sacramento we had.....

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@murphysranch I have kept purple salvia growing in my front yard in a flower bed for several years now. IF we have a super cold winter it probably won't make it. The last few winters have been pretty mild. Since I have a LOT of mulch (horse stalls and chickens), I mulch H E A V I L Y around and on top of any plant that I think might have a tough time. I'm thinking that you live in a milder zone than me, so I'm betting the salvia will make it.
@HunkieDorie23 my garden sage was a plant I bought at a local grocery store. I planted it 16 years ago and it continues to thrive. I give it NO care at all. If you are worried about it, dig deep past when it has roots, pot it up and make it a houseplant this winter. Be sure to put it in a south window, if possible, and, if you do the orchid thing and melt 3-4 ice cubes in a glass every week to water it, it should do pretty well, more watering if it looks dry. Every annual/perennial that I bring inside every Fall gets a really good soaking at the sink, let it drain and then place it in it's winter window sill. If you have any cats, put it in a plastic pot. The plastic pot will hold moisture better and the pot won't break it a cat knocks it over playing the typical cat game of home destruction. =b
Recently I found a "baby mum" that had had grown shallow roots from an extension from the parent plant. I knew it wouldn't survive the winter here, so I hand dug it out and just potted that up this morning. In the past I have bought clearance mums in November at Lowe's and kept them going all winter to put out next Spring. I also potted up 3 geraniums from DD's pots and they are going upstairs this winter. My front porch isn't heated but it has windows (and screens, which is why it is our extra room in the house), faces north and mostly east and south. It is a great transition place for my "winter houseplants."

Last edited:

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a long bank of single pane windows that are along a walkway in the house, facing south. Its where I'm going to set up some tables to get my plants to overwinter. The rest of the house is kinda dark, but my orchids are loving that space!

Latest posts