Transplanting Wild black raspberries and blackberries

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When is a good time to transplant the raspberries and black berries? I have new shoots coming up and want to transplant them to my garden area. Thanks

beth1966

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Glad you asked this question as I am interested to know the answer, too! I was noticing a lot of new blackberry shoots coming up today along our road and was thinking I'd like them much better along my fence line. The dang things come up like weeds. I might just try it, keep them watered and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I'll try again in Sept or Oct.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
most things like this do better after their done fruiting and its starting to be cooler weather. Maybe early fall. Just make sure you dig deep and give plenty of water. Weve done it and plan to do more.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The ones I want to transplant are new shoots as well. I think I might try it as well.
Thanks

Gloria

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I just transplanted some of my wild black raspberries a couple of weeks ago and they are all doing fine. Just make sure you get some good roots on it and give it plenty of water every day.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't know about blueberries, but black raspberries are like weeds.

They transplant very easily. If they haven't sent out green shoots yet they will transplant better, with less shock.

I just transplanted about 10, to expand my bed and clean it up.

Also, if you want to make more canes you can let the old cane (1 or 2 year old) top root in the soil. The cane will make a totally new plant whenever its top touches the soil.

;) Yeah I know this is an old thread.

Backyard Farm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
It is still a good time to transplant. cut the vines to about 12 - 15 inches. Try to get a lot of roots. Put a little mulch of over the transplants...just enough to keep the ground from drying out in the next could of months. If you get any buds, pick them off as you don't want to stress the translants by having them make fruit.

they are pretty much like weeds... so it is pretty easy.

Gloria

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I transplanted mine last July and they are doing just great now. They all survived and are looking huge this year! With lots of flowers on them. Yummy, I can't wait!

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
what about whole plants? We have a very awkwardly placed wild blackberry or rapsberry (i'm not sure which yet, but I think its blackberry) by the chicken coop and its within very close distance to some tent catipillars that I can't reach to spray (they're at the top of a tree) and I'd love to move them to the garden...

Gloria

Leafing Out
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
what about whole plants? We have a very awkwardly placed wild blackberry or rapsberry (i'm not sure which yet, but I think its blackberry) by the chicken coop and its within very close distance to some tent catipillars that I can't reach to spray (they're at the top of a tree) and I'd love to move them to the garden...
I dug up the whole plant and they made it just fine.

If yours is flowering right now I would wait until it's done flowering and setting fruit to move it.

That way your not stressing it more by trying to set fruit after it's been moved.

Latest posts