Tree ID please

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Finally closed on my house! Now just need to reclaim this from all the weeds!
IMG_20110609_152955.jpg

This tree is next to the garden and has dime sized berries on it. Does anyone know what it is and if they are edible for people, cats, dogs, and rabbits?
IMG_20110609_153107.jpg

IMG_20110609_153053.jpg

This tree is very green but some of the branches are hollow. Do you think I need a tree doctor to check it? Also what kind of tree is it? I love the flowers.
IMG_20110609_153122.jpg

Thanks!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That will be a lovely garden!! It is fun to start in someone elses space- it will be a discovery every season! Sorry, I know that is a common tree- but don't know what it is called....
Looking forward to the "after" pictures!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
How exciting to have a new place to garden Margali! It looks like it has a lot of potential too.

The first tree looks like a Bradford pear (?). The second tree is a Tulip tree.
If you have hollow branches you'll want a certified arborist to take a look (as opposed to a tree"surgeon" with a chainsaw in the back of his pickup).
The tree probably has some rot issues, but may very well be salvageable.
That is a beautiful bloom.
Don't know about the berries.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe the 1st tree is a mulberry. Yes they can be eaten. I think they are pretty bland. DH loves them. I would mix them with raspberries or strawberries for more flavorful jams and pies. The birds love them and will leave PURPLE POOP on everything!
I agree the 2nd tree is a tulip tree. lovely. :)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was thinking the tree with the red/purple berries might be a mulberry tree. the bottom one with the yellow flowers i agree that it is a tulip tree. i've been wanting one since i found one growing in my town years ago. they are not really seen around here and hardly anyone knows what they are.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Looks like you have your work cut out for you... but I think the rewards will out weigh any of the hard labor pains you'll get! :D

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats on your new house. :) First one is a mulberry. You can eat the berries, make pie, etc., but a lot of people will use them to distract the birds from their more valuable berries. The second is indeed a tulip poplar. I've got a huge one in my back yard. It is always dropping limbs. Just seems like a few die out here and there and fall down when we have a big storm. Shouldn't be a big problem unless the main trunk is hollow. Might want to hire someone to prune out the bad limbs so they don't fall on anything.

Bet you'll find a lot of neat stuff tucked away in that garden. Looks like someone used to love it at one time.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a beautiful garden! I don't see the weeds! It's nice that you already have something to start with and it looks like you still have alot more room to plant or for a coop. ;)

Mary

Latest posts