Tree pollination question

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have looked at 2 nut trees I would like to get. A black walnut and pecan. I'll eat those to death I tell ya! :lol:

Anyways, They get to be pretty large trees over time, and I don't have space for 2. Now, it suggests 2 for proper pollination. My neighbor 2 down from me has 2 pecans in his back yard.... is that close enough that my tree will benefit from his and I don't need to purchase 2?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How far really is 2 down?

They are wind pollinated, so it mostly depends on which direction the weather normally goes. e.g. If your neighbor is to the north, and the weather normally blows south -> north, you're outta luck and they probably won't get pollinated.

I mean, if you get two trees when they are fairly young, you can do some very cute training and pruning so they will grow close or even right together in one big trunk. We've got big hickories in our yard that are probably less than 30 feet from each other--the canopy of the tree just spreads a bit differently so they are sorta bald where they're close to each other.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nuts just sounded yummy and was thinking pecans would be nice... If the grow together then maybe that would work. It says Black walnut may self pollinate, but 2 would be safer. They get HUGE eventually though. They won't ship them until March if that's what I want, so I'll just jungle what I'll do until closer to that time.

Thanks for the help... I'm still very 'green' at this! :lol:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you plant black walnuts, be aware that they will inhibit the growth of a lot of other trees and plants. They produce a substance (I can't remember the name of it) that keeps certain other trees and plants from competing with them. You can google it to determine what those plants are. And don't use black walnut leaves, limbs, etc in compost.

Grafted English walnuts are sometimes grafted onto black walnut stock. The roots of these will inhibit other growth.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
If you plant black walnuts, be aware that they will inhibit the growth of a lot of other trees and plants. They produce a substance (I can't remember the name of it) that keeps certain other trees and plants from competing with them. You can google it to determine what those plants are. And don't use black walnut leaves, limbs, etc in compost.

Grafted English walnuts are sometimes grafted onto black walnut stock. The roots of these will inhibit other growth.
Thank you, I long abandoned this idea for an apple and apricot orchard. :D

Latest posts