Trimming/pruning Boxwood Basil

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Getting ready to trim the basil. A search brought mixed results on how to do this. Some say a leaf-at-a-time, others say whole stems are the way to go and yet a third recommends a "military buzz cut" whatever that means. :hu

Please advise. :hugs

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I dont know specifically about boxwood basil. I grow the Italian style ones, Genovese and Napolitano or however you spell that one.

When I harvest, I take the limb off down to where I leave a couple of suckers coming out to replace the limb that came off. Thats probably what they mean by buzz cut.

When the basil starts to flower and Im not ready to harvest, I pinch the flowers off so it doesnt go to seed and die. I keep basil going until frost.

Tentoumushi

Sprout
Reaction score
I snip mine back leaving three or four sets of leaves on each stem. Then I dry the stems, then separate the leaves for cooking and bundle the stems to toss in the fire on the grill to add extra flavor to whatever I am grilling.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tentoumushi said:
I snip mine back leaving three or four sets of leaves on each stem. Then I dry the stems, then separate the leaves for cooking and bundle the stems to toss in the fire on the grill to add extra flavor to whatever I am grilling.
What a GREAT! idea. I never thought of that. :clap

Latest posts