Tromboncini Summer Squash Seeds

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a packet (3 grams) of organic Tromboncini squash seeds I bought from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange for last year but did not plant them because of the move. I won't be planting them this year either, I've laid out where everything will go in my raised beds and I don't see any room. If you haven't grown them before Tromboncini will spread on the ground like watermelon but do best when trellised. I strongly suggest trellising.

They are dated Oct 2017 and should still be good. I'll restrict this to the US since I don't have a license to export seed. The first person that says they want them gets them. I'll pay postage and ask that you don't send anything in return. I'd prefer you do someone else a favor somewhere down the line.

I made the offer in one of Bay's threads but no one responded for these seeds so I'll be as blatant as I can and start this thread.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a packet (3 grams) of organic Tromboncini squash seeds I bought from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange for last year but did not plant them because of the move. I won't be planting them this year either, I've laid out where everything will go in my raised beds and I don't see any room. If you haven't grown them before Tromboncini will spread on the ground like watermelon but do best when trellised. I strongly suggest trellising.

They are dated Oct 2017 and should still be good. I'll restrict this to the US since I don't have a license to export seed. The first person that says they want them gets them. I'll pay postage and ask that you don't send anything in return. I'd prefer you do someone else a favor somewhere down the line.

I made the offer in one of Bay's threads but no one responded for these seeds so I'll be as blatant as I can and start this thread.
would love to have them. I think you are the one that got me growing them in the first place. And if you think of something you want in return just say so. I was just thinking to starting to buy my seeds!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
If anyone else wants to grow Tromboncino, I have seed to share. There are two lots, and each is slightly different. "Zucchetta Rampicante" (2009 seed, originally from Pinetree) is the longest...I've nicknamed it 'hoop squash', since it will often form a circle if grown on the ground. Still have enough for several trades. "Tromboncino" (2007 seed, originally from SSE) has slightly shorter, straighter squash; there's plenty of that. Both are in need of renewal, after several crop failures due to bad weather. Just PM if interested. The "Zucchetta Rampicante" still had good germination when I grew it in 2016, and is my favorite summer squash... I really need to get seed from it this year.

100_1019.JPG

Zucchetta Rampicante

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
GOSH those are cute little boys!! Look at those smiles!

I assume that these squash need a pretty impressive trellis of some sort????

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
GOSH those are cute little boys!! Look at those smiles!

I assume that these squash need a pretty impressive trellis of some sort????
Or a lot of space on the ground; I've grown Tromboncino both ways. You get straighter squash if trellised, but fewer of them. If grown trailing, the vines will root at the nodes & be much more productive, especially in late Summer (which is when my photo above was taken). The squash will curl if they form on the ground, but you can really get a lot of them, so that is now my preferred method.

The vines are rampant, easily reaching 15-20' unless trimmed; so they will either need a lot of trellis to climb, or a lot of ground crawl on.

Latest posts