Turnips. Haven't heard anyone growing them!

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I sowed some turnips just a few days ago. Got lucky and had a good evening thunder shower the very next day. Thinning is going to be a must. Sowed them a tad bit heavy. :rolleyes:

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's kind of hard to answer curly_kate. Raw...to me they are a bit like a raw potato but sweeter in a way. Maybe a cross between a carrot and a potato? If they are overcooked, they are definitely turnipy tasting. Not a good taste to me.

Normally I chop the turnips up and add to the greens. Turnip greens are my favorite of the greens. However...I came in to take a break from pulling out the pole beans and caught an old Julia Child/Jacques Pepin cooking show on PBS. She was making a beef bourguignon and he was making a pot roast to which he added turnips. Sure looked mighty good and I have got to try that later on this year.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i might try some for a fall crop never tasted them before but i bet their great!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great? Would anyone really say turnips are "great". I would say they are an acquired taste at best... I love all veggies, but not turnips...they taste kind of sour to me?? How well do they keep? I know the ones in the stores are dipped in wax...

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Great? Would anyone really say turnips are "great". I would say they are an acquired taste at best... I love all veggies, but not turnips...they taste kind of sour to me?? How well do they keep? I know the ones in the stores are dipped in wax...
maybe their are other varieties that have a better texture and taste.

Rence

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm sowing some this weekend :)

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow
Turnips are lovely roasted when young, along with duck & served with peas!

I also love them raw, sliced thinly in a mixed salad or cut into batons & served as part of a "cruditie" platter with a dip (preferably with a spicy mayonnaise base).

I also like to roast a mixture of root vegetables -- small chunks of them jumbled together with fresh herbs & sprinkled with olive oil. This makes a great vegetarian dish if you add white sauce & lots of strong cheese & crumbs on top, then heat up in the oven until the top is crisp.

For me I don't like them larger than a golf-ball -- larger than that & they go in the stock pot or into a minestrone! :D

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts