Umami and L-Aminos for soil

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was fascinated by the production of fertilizer from the pressing of monosodium glutamate. I bridged over to this link on a google trek about amino acid fertility effects and sources.

Here is the link I started with, and I was checking out sources for the Glycine and Glutamic Acid mentioned as specifically related to chlorophyll production.

The reason I find these connections interesting, that MSG is pressed from sugar eating bacteria and that the protiens and thus aminos therein can be sold as fertilizer, is because I have heard that sugars on your lawn "do" a number of things, as well as does molassess in the garden. Aside from the fertilizing effects of dying colonies of bacteria, some bugs even hate bacterially or fungally active environments and vacate for more sterile environments for example.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you are in an arid climate you can use a mix of molasses and water to give the soil a bit of crust to keep it from blowing away. this only lasts until the next rains, but can be a useful short term and quick way to get an area stablised. much better though is a nice layer of mulch. :)

i've never had any plants complain to me about all the tomatoes i've buried in the gardens through the years, there's a ton of umami and other goodies in those.

Titan Farm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I was fascinated by the production of fertilizer from the pressing of monosodium glutamate. I bridged over to this link on a google trek about amino acid fertility effects and sources.

Here is the link I started with, and I was checking out sources for the Glycine and Glutamic Acid mentioned as specifically related to chlorophyll production.

The reason I find these connections interesting, that MSG is pressed from sugar eating bacteria and that the protiens and thus aminos therein can be sold as fertilizer, is because I have heard that sugars on your lawn "do" a number of things, as well as does molassess in the garden. Aside from the fertilizing effects of dying colonies of bacteria, some bugs even hate bacterially or fungally active environments and vacate for more sterile environments for example.
I've been using Aminos in the garden for a few years now, stumbled upon it wile reading and watching videos on living soils. Aminos make a huge difference, they make for a more vigorous plant, stems are thicker and stronger, leaves are over all bigger and more thicker and the over all growth of the plants is much faster.

The product I use is GreenGrow - Green Aminos

Derived From
Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Seaweed Extract, Red AlgaeExtract, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Oxide, L-Glutamic Acid, L-Lysine

Other Ingredients
2% Humic Acid (Derived from Leonardite) 2% Lactose Powder(Microbe food)

Guaranteed Analysis
Nitrogen (N): 0.5%
Soluble Potash (K2O): 2.0%
Calcium (Ca): 10%