Understand this site’s members.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, maybe I’m a hypocrite because I left to get my sanity back. I forgot rule #1 on internet-anyone can post anything behind a nameless user name. Most (90+%) came here to discuss gardening-not current events. We are a diverse group socially, religiously, politically, and by temperaments. One thing most of us share is passion. When emotions reign, facts, intentions, etc no longer matter. This country has been divided by politics & Covid protocols. It has found its way here-no surprise. This is a gardening site-I believe some of us forgot that. It became a social place where we forgot rule #1.
Basically we are self controlling here-we’ve down a miserable job in last 12 months. Want to visit about anything not gardening-use Randim Ramblings. Otherwise leave political and Covid hi jacks off of gardening subjects. Can we do that?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, maybe I’m a hypocrite because I left to get my sanity back. I forgot rule #1 on internet-anyone can post anything behind a nameless user name. Most (90+%) came here to discuss gardening-not current events. We are a diverse group socially, religiously, politically, and by temperaments. One thing most of us share is passion. When emotions reign, facts, intentions, etc no longer matter. This country has been divided by politics & Covid protocols. It has found its way here-no surprise. This is a gardening site-I believe some of us forgot that. It became a social place where we forgot rule #1.
Basically we are self controlling here-we’ve down a miserable job in last 12 months. Want to visit about anything not gardening-use Randim Ramblings. Otherwise leave political and Covid hi jacks off of gardening subjects. Can we do that?
I too would like to see less of the political conspiracy posts. There are lots of other sites for that.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i suggest metabunk.org for those actually wishing to see what crazy stuff is going on and what people are talking about it to figure out if what is being said is actually useful or not.

this is in addition to snopes and other fact checker type sites.

i've been trying to avoid covid and other current event topics in threads outside of the discombobulated thread but some people can't seem to resist posting that stuff. sorry if i go along for the ride at times.

always a good idea to step back if you feel too involved or mad. during gardening season that energy can be used to get more done outside. :) on the internet you should always take care of yourself first and be sure you're not reading/writing when vulnerable unless you're ready for what might come back at you.

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flowerbugs response is exactly what I am talking about. Everyone believes their sources are the accurate ones.

This is not a thread to discuss those issues, point out where to go or indirectly insult people. All I’m getting at is talk Covid in Covid threads, political in political threads and gardening in gardening threads..

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you choose to respond to those threads that are dedicated to politics or COVID please remember to give people grace. We all come from different backgrounds have different personalities and are in different points of our lives, some of us come from different countries. All of these things affect our
worldview. Because we have different world views we will disagree. If you disagree please do so politely and avoid name calling even if it isn’t directed at a specific person. Also please leave those disagreement in that thread. One rule I try to follow is to wait before I post especially if emotions are running high. I type it out and wait, 10 minutes, an hour, I’ve even left several overnight before. Sometimes I’ll still post but other times I realize I was running on emotions when I wrote the post and it gets deleted instead.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's a delicate tightrope. To say that even MENTIONING COVID outside the RR thread is a little off. If I am trying to say "I would love to send you some seed (or get you some seed) but due to COVID restrictions I am not able to at this point" that to my mind is still talking about gardening. But I agree that there is no place for hot level politics in the gardening threads. Plants know not politics, nor social issues nor religion (it's pretty impressive there is a species of tree that can do mathematics).
Speaking of that, lets leave religion in the RR thread as well. Wishing someone blessings or saying you'll pray for them when things are bad is fine, but this is not the place for evangelism. Just as we are from many nations and many social backgrounds we are from many faiths, of varying orthodoxy. Just keep that in mind.

This extreme political slant also, for me, sets off my paranoia. I makes me worry there are those out there who are coming to this forum looking for targets (as in "This person has a lot of land seed and supplies against any coming hardships. I'll find out his address and then when and if things do hit the fan, I can go there and take it all."). It's a bit like how another thread often made me feel like they were encouraging me to flout and defy the law and government whenever I could, even if it meant imprisonment or execution.

Latest posts