Liz Davis

Leafing Out
Reaction score
untitled_by_ebonypug-dbdmb85.jpg
untitled_by_ebonypug-dbdmb7q.jpg
untitled_by_ebonypug-dbdmb6q.jpg
untitled_by_ebonypug-dbdmb6w.jpg

untitled_by_ebonypug-dbdmb7c.jpg

My pest problem has been wrecking havoc on my pumpkin plant in my small garden outside. The other plants, watermelon, tomato, and cucumber, haven't have this bad of a problem. I'm not quite sure what it is but I'm worry that I'll wake up tomorrow morning and find my pumpkin plant all gone!

I'm not quite sure what the pest is because there looks to be a variety of things happening to the leaves of the plants. I haven't notice any bugs besides for ants and potatoe bugs. I appreciate your help!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Liz, glad you joined us.

That first photo looks out place with the rest doesn't it. It looks more like a large caterpillar to me, the rest look like grasshoppers or some kind of beetle. What exactly do those potato bugs look like? Are they on the pumpkins?

Liz Davis

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi Liz, glad you joined us.

That first photo looks out place with the rest doesn't it. It looks more like a large caterpillar to me, the rest look like grasshoppers or some kind of beetle. What exactly do those potato bugs look like? Are they on the pumpkins?

Sorry, I meant to say pillbugs
800px-Armadillidium_vulgare_001.jpg

But those little bugs are crawling around the stem of the plant on the ground. I plucked away the first leaf but decided to take a picture after I notice that all the damage to the rest of the plant is different.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
untitled_by_ebonypug-dbdmb85.jpg
untitled_by_ebonypug-dbdmb7q.jpg
untitled_by_ebonypug-dbdmb6q.jpg
untitled_by_ebonypug-dbdmb6w.jpg

untitled_by_ebonypug-dbdmb7c.jpg

My pest problem has been wrecking havoc on my pumpkin plant in my small garden outside. The other plants, watermelon, tomato, and cucumber, haven't have this bad of a problem. I'm not quite sure what it is but I'm worry that I'll wake up tomorrow morning and find my pumpkin plant all gone!

I'm not quite sure what the pest is because there looks to be a variety of things happening to the leaves of the plants. I haven't notice any bugs besides for ants and potatoe bugs. I appreciate your help!
Looks like squash bugs to me. Turn the leaf over and look for little yellow eggs. When the hatch they will destroy the plant in accountable numbers.. I often squash the adults and leave them on the plants-they release a stink that I hope will scare away other adults. Catch and put in soapy water. Put out a second crop now with seed. Squash bug avoidance seems to be about timing of planting.

Liz Davis

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Looks like squash bugs to me. Turn the leaf over and look for little yellow eggs. When the hatch they will destroy the plant in accountable numbers.. I often squash the adults and leave them on the plants-they release a stink that I hope will scare away other adults. Catch and put in soapy water. Put out a second crop now with seed. Squash bug avoidance seems to be about timing of planting.

I've looked on the undersides of leaves and haven't notice any yellow eggs or anything out of the ordinary but thanks! I'll be looking again just to be sure

Liz Davis

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I may have found the problem. After closer inspection, I didn't find any eggs but I did find these tiny yellow worms scooting about the plant

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may have found the problem. After closer inspection, I didn't find any eggs but I did find these tiny yellow worms scooting about the plant
I just saw some seedling of mine with similar damage. I have striped cucumber beetles on them. Pyrethrum seem to help a bit..

Liz Davis

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hey, Collector :woot

So, an update. I've treated the plant for caterpillars and the sorts.

But I just made a discovery, I think I have a earwig problem not a caterpillar or worm problem.

I've notice earwigs in the flowers as they bloom and just recently seen them crawling on the leaves at night. I'm setting about to trap them.