Unusual Jam & Jelly Recipes!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there! :frow

I am sure that you all know how to make jams & jellies so I thought I might post a few unusual ones so you can ring the changes. This one has just come through to me from "River Cottage" in their email.

I was particularly interested as earlier this year I ordered a whole lot of cuttings of various Scented Geraniums( they are thriving & have started flowering). I have used them in the past by putting the fresh leaves in the bottom of a cake tin & baking a sponge cake on top -- this jam would be perfect between the layers. :D

http://ase.emv3.com/HM?a=A9X7CkOcZmzosJ2IA,fq_wDh,g

****The recipe is at the bottom -- so scroll down!

If you have interesting recipes pleas post them as we all like something different as well as our tried & tested favourites. :rainbow-sun

:rose Hattie :rose

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow! That is interesting!

In TX we had jalapeno jelly, yummy on a wheat cracker, with a smear of cream cheese!!

I don't have the recipe though, hope someone can post one on this thread!!

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here's my pepper jelly recipe, then 2 tomato jam recipes from my aunt that I have not tried yet:

Hot Pepper Garlic Jellyrecipezaar.com
1 cup hot peppers, chopped (habaero, jalapeno, cayennewhatever is available)
1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
to cup garlic, chopped
1 cups white vinegar
6 cups sugar
1 packet Certo (or other liquid pectin)

Directions
1. Begin by putting my jars and rings in a big pot of water on the stove and bring to a low boil.
2. Leave them boiling slightly till you are ready for them.
3. Have your jar flats ready on the counter along with a damp rag to wipe the rims of your jars after filling.
4. Put peppers, green pepper, garlic, vinegar and sugar in a large pot and mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Boil for 5- 6 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and add Certo and stir. Pour into 1/2 pint jars. As soon as you fill a jar wipe the rim, put a flat in the ring and twist onto jar and invert jar on cloth towel to seal (heat from jar, ring and jelly should seal it).
6. Leave them on the counter for a while to finish sealing. If you notice the peppers settling just give the jar a little shake every once in a while. After they have cooled and sealed (you will not be able to push down on the flat at all) you can turn them over and tighten the rings again and you're done!

**NOTE FROM CHEF** One packet of liquid Certo will work just fine, the jelly will "looser". I actually prefer it with one packet myself.

Tomato Jam recipe by Matthew Kenney
1 TBS butter
2 TBS minced fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves minced
CUP cider vinegar
1 Cinnamon stick
2 and pounds tomatoes peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped.
CUP brown sugar
1 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground cloves
tsp cayenne pepper
CUP honey

Directions:
1.Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan.
2.Add the ginger and garlic and cook over moderately high heat stir frequently about 1 minute.
3.Add the vinegar and cinnamon stick and cook until the liquid is reduced to a glaze, about 1 minute.
4.Stir in the tomatoes, brown sugar, cumin, cloves and cayenne pepper.
5.Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally until the liquid is completely evaporated, about 1 and hours.
6.Stir in the honey and season with salt and pepper.
7.Discard the cinnamon stick and serve the jam at room temperature.

Jam can be frozen. Or it can stay in the fridge fresh for about 4 days.

Tomato JamNew York Times
1 pounds ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 CUP brown sugar
2 TBS freshly squeezed lime juice
1 TBS fresh grated ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
1 jalapeno or other pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced.

1.Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
2.Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use.

Will keep a week in the fridge. Or the jam can be
frozen.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi me&thegals, :frow

Great stuff -- I'm growing lots of peppers & tomatoes so I am definitely going to try them as I have definitely over-planted!!! :ep

Thank you!

:rose Hattie :rose

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I make jalapeno jelly for christmas gifts I do a red batch and a green batch people really love it. One couple I gave some to said it was awesome with smoked salmon. I definately want to try the tomato jam now that sounds yummy.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've had tomato jam too! It is very good on a hunk of toasted, buttered sourdough bread. :drool

Thanks for the recipe for hot pepper jelly too!!! It is good at parties spread over cream cheese and served (self serve style) with gormet crackers. They call it cowboy candy sometimes.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've got a weird one for you. It is my own personal creation...

Strawberry Chia Jelly

2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
2-4 Tbsp chia seeds
Sweetener such as erythritol, splenda or stevia (or any combination of the three)
Splash of lemon juice

Lay the sliced strawberries on a cookie sheet or other flat surface and place them in the freezer. (Fruit must be totally frozen before the next step.) Next, take your frozen fruit and place in a bowl. Sprinkle the chia seeds on top of the fruit and add a bit of fresh lemon juice if you have it...one wedge squeezed should do it.

Cover and leave on the counter until the fruit thaws. The freezing process burst the cell walls in the fruit. As it thaws, it will release all of its juices. These juices will be absorbed by the chia seeds, which then turn in to a gel.

Stir occasionally. Once the fruit is completely thawed, check the consistency. If it is a little runny, add more chia. Sweeten to taste. Keep refrigerated in a covered container and use within 5-7 days.

This is a VERY refreshing, light flavored jelly. The fruit flavor really shines through. You can use almost any frozen fruit as long as you cut it up and freeze it first. I stick to mainly berries because of their low sugar content.

Chia is VERY high in omega 3 fatty acids. Unlike flax, it doesn't go rancid so easily. Chia is very nutritious.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love chia seeds and have a bunch my friend just brought from Mexico ..I will for sure be trying this strawberry concoction sounds very good
thanks
chia is fun food!
(she gets me 5lbs or organic chia for a buck across the boarder!by the time it reaches our stores it is a buck a gram I swear! )

I am forever trying to cut sugar out of my life this sounds like a great way to enjoy a jelly and not have sugar in it ..besides Pomonas