Unwanted Critters in the Veggie Garden

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What do you all do to keep unwanted critters out of your veggie garden?

The church veggie garden will be organic and we want to encourage the bees to visit daily. Potential critters will be squirrels, tree rats, field mice, and birds - various small birds as well as crows and a large group of wild parrots (man those things are noisy!).

There are houses to one side of the garden and a school to the back of the garden, so we need to keep that in mind. Since it is located at a church, it has to look nice.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep. I'm not kidding! You'll see and HEAR them tomorrow out at the garden. Actually, it's kind of cool. There's a nest with a mama parrot sitting on it within view of the garden.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
random gunfire!?!?

Okay, some people have some success with those motion-activated sprinklers. One caution - there is probably a need for a water pressure regulator and a good quality hose so that a rupture doesn't occur. Leaving the water on all the time can be a little risky.

Can we all come out and see the parrots :D?

Steve

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hmmm. I'm pretty sure the random gunfire would be a problem. :p

I'll have to check out the motion activated sprinkler idea, but it's a pretty good space - abt. 10,000 sf or so. Would that work?

Sure come on down. We have a big work party tomorrow and Carri will be there with her tractor. The parrots are pretty cool, if not annoying. I'll see if I can get a picture of the one on the nest!

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am wondering If one of those plastic owls will help me keep rabbits away from my garden. last summer I had a gound hog problem, they didnt bother the garden but having turned their hibernation to a permenant one, the rabbits have moved in the hole. Last year all the rabbits ate were the brussel sprouts, shock and awe in one morning :hit but I only had tomatoes, corn and pumpkins. this year Im adding peas and cucumbers, im worried, its too big a field to fence off. Any thoughts? BTW, we just moved here winter before this past and nothing was done with the property for many years before that. so theyre everywhere

ozark hen

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
that green netting over the top will keep the birds at bay but other than tight fencing..?? I keep a fence around my garden to keep the chickens out..learned the hard way :barnie Then I lined three sides of my garden with marigolds and zennias. They were gorgeous, I never lost anything after all that. Only problem....now I am bound to have flowers all over the garden?? :smack But then, that can't be a bad thing could it? :rose

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This photo was taken while standing in my garden and looking up into the neighbor's hay barn. They are real :):

somethings008.jpg

Nearby, is a hillside covered with junipers. It's a perfect place for the cottontails to hide :/. By the evidence in the barn (no hay last year so I was always in there snooping ;)), the owl family was mostly interested in mice and birds. Nevertheless, there was, at least, some bunny parts. After real damage in previous years, the rabbit damage in the garden was way, way down in 'o7. I just hope these guys come back this season.

The story I heard from an avian expert on plastic owls is MOVE THEM !! Frequently . . . like a couple times each day. They don't have to be moved far. Just turning in place will be adequate some days. Think about perches and every time you go into the garden, trot 'em from one place to another. Most prey species are timid creatures. Looking over their shoulders will make 'em neurotic and give 'em ulcers. Even thinking of these guys is bad for their health :D.

Steve

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Backyard Buddies said:
Yep. I'm not kidding! You'll see and HEAR them tomorrow out at the garden. Actually, it's kind of cool. There's a nest with a mama parrot sitting on it within view of the garden.
I saw the parrots with my own eyes... and heard them, too! :barnie
I asked another person who was there, "WHAT on earth is that racket?!?!" Next thing I know... two green squackers flying by.

Latest posts