*UPDATE* Mimosa trees

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well I got impatient, didn't want to wait for seeds, and couldn't find anyone here to send me a tree SOOOOO I bought 3 seedlings from ebay for $9.99 plus shipping. So the 3 trees came yesterday. 3 Mimosa seedlings for $20, not too bad right?
WRONG-the note with them said 'your trees are still dormant'.
I got twigs with barely any roots on them. Looks like they were runners or something(unsure if Mimosa puts out runners-I didn't think so). Main tap root cut off about 3-4" long and they all 3 seem to have a side 'runner type' root going out horizontally from the root crown thats about 3" long also-AND thats IT for roots-no fine hair roots!!
You'd think I'd learn my lesson from last time I tried to buy Mimosa trees online-got even worse plants.
These at least are about 3ft. tall. But dry brittle and I'm wondering why still "dormant" when they came from the south and should have been out of dormancy by now. Dang it!

I will not give up-I'm having a Mimosa tree in my yard, I hope!

[original post]I'm looking to buy a Mimosa seedling but can not find one locally and have been burned from buying sight unseen online. Anybody able to offer any help in a good source.
Also wouldn't mind starting some seeds if anyone would be so kind to send me some with s.a.s.e. ofcourse.
I tried buys seeds and got dried nasty dead ones and I tried buys 2 trees from different places and got barely rooted cuttings that died.
Help!

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i may be able to get you some seeds later on in the year. i have one that keeps growing where my well is. another is growing under the house. i have one in a huge pot that cracked the pot and grew into the ground. so i chopped off that root and pulled it up and one still came up in the ground! lol. what is SASE?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's a self addressed stamped envelope. It keeps the other person from paying postage, using an envelope, or even having to address the envelope. :)

frizzylizzy

Sprout
Reaction score
Where are you located? I'm in California and I have quite a few seedlings that I was growing for bonsai projects and I haven't had the time to work with them. They are from 1 to 2 feet tall. I can also get lots of seeds in the fall. The young trees don't like their roots messed with when they are actively growing. It's best to work with them in the winter when they are dormant. (Shipping, transplanting, etc.)

Elizabeth

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am in central Indiana. And am certainly willing to pay shipping however sent.
The bigger the tree the better, not to sound greedy. sry.

I ordered 2 online and got (barely)rooted cuttings. dang it! I might have already told ya'll that, can't remember.
Anyway thanks for the offers and I will PM my address to someone for seeds-thank you

And if you do think you can send a sapling, I'd be very very happy...

Reaction score
I have some seedlings and small young ones. How many do you want? I would even do a trade.....

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Cool! I'd take a couple, so if one didn't make it. Or maybe put one in the ground and one in a patio pot.
Going to PM you now.
Thanks for the reply

Reaction score
need your address to send you your mimosa trees on monday. I pm'd you.
Are there anyone else who wants mimosa seedlings about 1 to 2 feet high?

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
no thanks. i have one growing up under my house and another one that came up from a root that escaped a pot and the on in the pot that is like 6 feet tall has broken that pot and the chickens are scratching all the dirt out of the crack. i guess i need to plant it somewhere before it dies. anyone want to buy it? lol

Latest posts