US Steel Says It Will Reopen Illinois Plant

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
GetFile.aspx

The United States Steel Corporation announced plans to reopen part of an Illinois factory following President Donald Trump's decision to impose a new tariff on imported steel, The Hill reported on Wednesday.

U.S. Steel said it anticipates the tariff will result in an increased demand for domestic steel and that the company expects to rehire 500 employees within a few weeks, although it might take four months to reopen the plant.

"Our Granite City Works facility and employees, as well as the surrounding community, have suffered too long from the unending waves of unfairly traded steel products that have flooded U.S. markets," the company's CEO David Burritt said in a statement.

The statement said that the factory's "blast furnaces and its steelmaking facilities were idled in December 2015 and the plant's hot strip mill was idled in January 2016 in response to challenging market conditions, including global excess steel capacity and unfairly traded imports."

Trump announced last week that he would impose tariffs of 25 percent on imported steel and 10 percent on imported aluminum and is expected to sign the measure later this week.

Some say this would cause foreign competitors to fight back ~ but I see it as necessary ~ politicians have been making deals that strangle American Business,

Europe has an 10% tariff on American Cars, we have a 2% tariff on foreign cars ~ this in not fair trade ~ giving the edge to foreign companies who already have the advantage of not hiring American Workers ~ we've lost several Auto makers to the lack of fair trade ~ no country wants to lose the American market ~ just because they are have to deal fairly with U.S.

China has raised prices on products ~ once the American Competition is driven out of business ~ poorly made copies of American tools ~ now sell for a higher price ~ then the American Made quality Tool sold for when the price war began ```
"They've been killing us" Not any more ```

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

When a country (USA) is losing many billions of dollars on trade with virtually every country it does business with, trade wars are good, and easy to win. Example, when we are down $100 billion with a certain country and they get cute, don’t trade anymore-we win big. It’s easy!

2:50 AM - Mar 2, 2018

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 6h6 hours ago
Looking forward to 3:30 P.M. meeting today at the White House. We have to protect & build our Steel and Aluminum Industries while at the same time showing great flexibility and cooperation toward those that are real friends and treat us fairly on both trade and the military.

"while at the same time showing great flexibility and cooperation toward those that are real friends and treat us fairly on both trade and the military."

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
please, i get enough politics from general news and other places...

now if you want to talk about cheap quality garden tools and better made replacements which will actually last then i'm all up for that.

pax gardenium...

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Actually Granite City Steel has been building back up to start making steel again since Feb some time.
A friend of mine had been laid off from there for about 2 years and the union told them to be ready to start heading back to work some time ago.
There is a lot of work they need to do before they can actually start production.
When the stop production they don't just walk away, and they never really close the joint down completely, unless the mill is to be dismantled.

THANX RICH

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh ~ so this was just a little hiccup ~ would have happened anyway ~ well Rich ~ good to hear it from ~ the horses mouth ```

I heard they were going to start one of the two furnaces ~your friend tell you why they closed the plant in the first place ```
========================================================

U.S. Steel President and CEO David Burritt. said “Our Granite City Works facility and employees, as well as the surrounding community, have suffered too long from the unending waves of unfairly traded steel products that have flooded U.S. markets,”
========================================================
So he was just pouting ~ and shut down the plant ~ gave up all those steel contracts ~ out of spite ~ maybe ```Good to hear this from someone in the know ```

The plant really never shut down ~ you say ~ what does a steel plant do with both Down Draft Furnaces out of service ```

Thanks Rich ~ bet there be ~ a lot of people ~ would like to know this ~ like being on the ground floor ~ we're kinda like insiders ~ huh ```

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, does this mean you won't read my post ``` How dis a point in g

generally, no, when people go off into such tangents i tend to skip them. if it is most of what you end up writing about i'll still wish you well, but yep, i'll ignore ya... only got so much time on this planet and talking politics in a gardening forum is about the last thing i want to do.

Latest posts