Valerian Root...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone plant valerian root? Where do you get your seeds? Do you use it for tea? Thanks!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew it one time in a pot from a start someone gave me ...and it smells like sweaty locker rooms :(

works great for sleep!!!

but the tea is so awful smellling it is better to take it as a supplement ..you can find the tea in healthfood stores go smell it and see the plant smells the same way!!!

for sleep ..A+++ for appeal ...it is pretty bad :p (that is IMHO)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've grown it for several years, but have yet to harvest it. I planted it with the intention of tincturing the root and using for nervous tension/sleeplessness. I always remember about this time of year that that is why I planted it and wish that I had dug some in September like I was supposed to! LOL

I think it makes an interesting field flower, but don't recommend it for the flowerbed. It is too invasive. It reseeds VERY well and will pop up EVERYWHERE!

The medicinal oils in the plant are very volatile. To my knowledge it is the root that is best used and you must tincture it (draw out the oils using a medium, like gin) while it is very fresh. Once you've tinctured it, you can add a few drops to your favorite bedtime tea.

I believe I got my seeds from a site I think was called "Swallowtail Seeds" somewhere online. It's been a long time since I bought it. I imagine there are many places you can get it though.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do take valerian root in supplement form. Still smells like smelly feet!! It really works as a natural antidepressant. I just thought it would be fun to grow it...Maybe I will plant it in my wildflower field, if it is that invasive...Haven't tried the tea form, but it can't smell good!!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I used to grow some dug up from DH's alma mater's flower beds--they had originally planted it in a botany demonstration garden, and it had escaped to seed the whole campus. That should give you some idea of how invasive it can be.

Yes, it stinks to high heaven. Yes, it really will put you to sleep in smallish moderate doses. However, when handling the roots, be sure to wear rubber gloves so that the juice from the severed roots does not get on your skin, unless you want a massive valerian OD, which is one of the worst sensations ever and lasts approximately 6-8 hours of vomiting, vertigo, headache and, ironically, sleeplessness.

Ask me how I know. :sick

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
I used to grow some dug up from DH's alma mater's flower beds--they had originally planted it in a botany demonstration garden, and it had escaped to seed the whole campus. That should give you some idea of how invasive it can be.

Yes, it stinks to high heaven. Yes, it really will put you to sleep in smallish moderate doses. However, when handling the roots, be sure to wear rubber gloves so that the juice from the severed roots does not get on your skin, unless you want a massive valerian OD, which is one of the worst sensations ever and lasts approximately 6-8 hours of vomiting, vertigo, headache and, ironically, sleeplessness.

Ask me how I know. :sick
Oh wow! I never knew that! Thanks for the warning. :p :th

Latest posts