Veggies that do well together

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Or that cancel each other out.

My daughter asked me this question and the only thing I could think of is not to grow watermellons and cukes together.

I got a lot of heirloom varieties and know to keep the hot peppers away from the sweet ones.

I think her question was more of is it ok to plant tomatoes next to corn, or green beans next to potatoes kind of thing.

Any thoughts on what not to plant next to what???

sred98

Leafing Out
Reaction score
rockytopsis said:
Or that cancel each other out.

My daughter asked me this question and the only thing I could think of is not to grow watermellons and cukes together.

I got a lot of heirloom varieties and know to keep the hot peppers away from the sweet ones.

I think her question was more of is it ok to plant tomatoes next to corn, or green beans next to potatoes kind of thing.

Any thoughts on what not to plant next to what???
Potatoes and beans are a huge no-no. Tomatoes, peppers, basil, okra, all the "salsa and gumbo" veggies go together. Beans and corn are ok together. You grow the pole beans up the corn. ;)

I'll get my book out and make up a list for more common ones. I've got to get the kids to school, so it will be closer to 9AM CST.

Shelly

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here are some...
5719_companion_planting.jpg

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
rockytopsis said:
That is exactly what we were looking for, thank you.

I am printing that out and will keep a copy in my recipe book, that is the safest place. LOL
Nancy

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hah! Setter4 beat me to it :) That's what I casually consider also when plotting out my vegetables gardens each year.

sred98

Leafing Out
Reaction score
ah-HA! Finally found my book...and I did mess up! :he It's potatoes and onions, not potatoes and beans! LOL! That's what I get for going from memory! LOL! I've never planted potatoes, I'll probably try this year. I knew it was one of the foods that I cook with potatoes that don't mix well...good thing Setter posted that! :D

If there are any specific ones that you need that aren't listed, let me know. I've got my book handy. It's the one I suggested, "Carrots Love Tomatoes" It is my gardening Bible!

Shelly

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think I may try planting the carrots and tomatoes together this year, never had any luck with carrots so it is worth a try.
Nancy

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
sred98 said:
ah-HA! Finally found my book...and I did mess up! :he It's potatoes and onions, not potatoes and beans! LOL! That's what I get for going from memory! LOL! I've never planted potatoes, I'll probably try this year. I knew it was one of the foods that I cook with potatoes that don't mix well...good thing Setter posted that! :D

If there are any specific ones that you need that aren't listed, let me know. I've got my book handy. It's the one I suggested, "Carrots Love Tomatoes" It is my gardening Bible!

Shelly
I just saw this book at TSC when I was there today but didn't look through it. maybe I should look at it more when I go back out.
Since I found the "Month by Month Gardening in Pa." i haven't looked at many other gardening books.
The Master Gardeners are doing a presentation on Sq. Foot Gardening later this month. I think I will go just to see if I can pick up some pointers. :)

Latest posts