"Venomous" Roses? (Yes, I R STUPID)

ninjapoodles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OK, just get all your laughing out of your system right up front. There. Ready?

:p

Anyway. So, yesterday, I was mowing the lawn, and I got too close to a rose bush, and got a pretty stiff thorn to the hand, and a deep scratch up my forearm.

I got stuck in the back of my hand, right in the fleshy area between the base of my ring and pinkie-finger. It hurt, but I didn't think too much of it. Finished mowing, came in, cleaned up, went about my business, then went to bed. Well, sometime during the middle of the night, my hand started hurting. It hurt badly enough that it woke me up! I couldn't bend my pinkie finger at ALL, and it hurt bad enough that I thought I had somehow broken it without knowing!

I've been icing it and taking ibuprofen, and that helps a bit. I *think* it's better now than it was before, but the area is still really swollen, and red.

Is this a common reaction to getting stuck with a rose thorn, or am I just weird? (OK, fine, maybe BOTH are true. Har de har, har.)

Belinda

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It may be a serious injury. My grandmother has been to the hospital before for rose injuries. There are several side effects that can be had from a rose injury.

I would clean it with a good antiseptic and watch it for a day to see how things go. Get it checked out.

ninjapoodles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I had no idea! My daughter has her pre-K physical tomorrow, so I'll get the doc to look at my hand if it's still swollen/painful!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My mom got stuck a couple of weeks ago. It barely punctured her skin, but she had a huge bruise for almost a week. Its finally gone, but the bruise got bigger for a few days, and then it went away.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm so sorry that happened!

Remember, too, that there are other problems not related to the roses themselves.

One is staph or strep, which is more common from the garden than people generally realize. And if that's the case, then it needs attention sooner than later. Are there any red lines in the area, other than the scratch itself?

Have you been using peat and/or spagnum moss?

Also, whenever your skin is broken by a plant, everything *on* it is now inside your body. Even smog/the filth from a lot of cars, such as being near a freeway or hwy.

And don't forget anything you use one your plants. It doesn't matter if it's insecticide, or a natural kelp spray.

I could go on, but I think you can see that it may not be the rose, per se, and it has the potential to be serious.

Please keep us updated on how you're doing. :hugs

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rose thorn punctures can be pretty painful and can cause serious injury (seriously!) There's something called rose thorn tenosynovitis that sounds pretty much like what you've described. Make sure there's no piece of thorn in the wound, or it will not heal. If it continues for very long I'd get to a doctor for treatment. Some people are much more sensitive than others. I know any scratch I get from a rose is usually pretty irritated but it calms down within a day or two.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Quite honestly, I'd go to the Dr or emergency rm ASAP if it is swollen, painful and RED -- I have known a COUPLE of gardeners who have gotten very very serious infections from rose thorn pricks/scratches, including one who narrowly escaped amputation of the entire lower arm.

It can blow up quite rapidly from something limited to the site of the scratch, to spreading up the limb, to a systemic 'blood poisoning' type infection.

At the VERY least, be vigilant for any signs of red streaks extending into the hand itself, and if you see that then DEFINITELY go to the ER right away. I am told by those I have known who've had such things that hours can make a difference.

Not meaning to worry you, just trying to indicate this is something that should be taken more seriously than you might think,

Pat

ninjapoodles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Update: Much better today. Still sore, but I can grip again, and am typing with no pain. Swelling is improved probably 80% over yesterday--nothing for the doc to even look at, really. But WOW, that was an uncomfortable 24 hours! Interesting that there were NO symptoms until several hours after the puncture.

I will get back to the doc if the improvement does not continue at this pace, or if it still hurts tomorrow. The improvement is so dramatic over yesterday, though, that I feel pretty "safe" now. I mean, yesterday, I literally could not move my little finger, and the pain was enough to keep me awake.

I will be MUCH more careful around the roses from now on! I had NO idea they could cause such injuries. We don't treat or spray our plants with anything, so I don't really know what could have been on the plant.

I am really a gardening n00b. I will have lots more questions as the summer wears on, especially as I planted a tiny little vegetable garden for the first time this year.

Belinda

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow! I had no idea that rose thorn injuries could be so serious. Scary. Makes me appreciate my thornless rose more.

Latest posts