Wagyu Beef

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wagyu cattle is where the famous Kobe beef in Japan comes from. It is frightfully expensive. So enterprising American cattlemen imported Wagyu cattle and began to market their beef. A Wagyu ribeye steak is $30.00 a pound.

No, we didn't pay $30 for a ribeye...... our neighbor does commercial refrigeration and is in and out of the grocery stores in a 6 county area. There is an upscale store that he goes in that is so snooty, they don't mark down meat about to go out of date and offer it to their customers. As in, they only offer the best to their highfalutin customers and marked down meat would be tarnishing their reputation. So they put their marked down meat on a rack in the back and offer it to their employees, which is a real nice side benefit, IMO. Anyway, our neighbor is in there so much, the meat market manager made him the employee offer. He buys most of the family's meat in the mark down racks in the back of the stores he services. They have 3 boys and boys EAT, his are still small, so it will only get worse from here. LOL

They went grocery shopping yesterday and brought us a sack of meat. In it was 5 Wagyu ribeyes, marked down. It cost us $20 for over 5 pounds of Wagyu ribeyes which the regular price was over $150!! :th

We abandoned the chicken breast I had thawed out for supper and set out one of the ribeyes. Then I got on the internet to find out how to cook this gorgeous hunk of meat. I wanted to make sure I did justice to the steak. I found the same method in quite a few sites, so I dove in.

Take a dry heavy iron skillet and put it in the oven, turn it to 500*. When it reaches temperature, put the skillet on a burner on high for 4 minutes. In the meantime, lightly rub the room temperature steak with oil, then sprinkle liberally with coarse kosher salt and grind black pepper on it, both sides.

(I only left the skillet on the burner for 2 1/2 minutes) With TONGS (not a fork) Place the steak in the skillet for 30 seconds each side. (I did 45 seconds each side and got it nice and seared/crusty)

Put the skillet back in the oven, turn down to 450. 2 minutes on each side for a rare steak, 3 minutes each side for medium rare.

Take it out, remove from skillet and cover with foil for 2 minutes.

I had my vegetables ready, broccoli, cauliflower, red bell pepper cut in strips and I dropped them in the hot skillet, shook in some soy sauce and stir fried them.

I cut the steak in half, thin sliced each half and fanned them on the plates and added the vegetables.

OMG. Best. Steak. We. Ever. Had.

I can see why this meat is so expensive and so glad that we have some more of them in the freezer!!! Almost everything I read said NOT to cook it on a grill or pit. The fat marbling has a low melting point and it would drip out of the meat, causing flare ups and leaving the meat tough and blech. I think I just learned a new way to cook a rib eye.

Sam BigDeer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
JANE, you caused me to slobber (slobbering is much more uncouth than drooling) all over my keyboard...
I am glad you had this opportunity to experience kobe beef..
And Thank You for describing it so eloquently that we readers could smell the aroma..
Love ya, Hank....

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wagyu beef is different than Kobe beef. The cattle are fed different diets and one of them gets massaged. I don't remember what they are fed or which is which but they are 2 different things/meats.

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wagyu cattle is where the famous Kobe beef in Japan comes from. It is frightfully expensive. So enterprising American cattlemen imported Wagyu cattle and began to market their beef. A Wagyu ribeye steak is $30.00 a pound.

No, we didn't pay $30 for a ribeye...... our neighbor does commercial refrigeration and is in and out of the grocery stores in a 6 county area. There is an upscale store that he goes in that is so snooty, they don't mark down meat about to go out of date and offer it to their customers. As in, they only offer the best to their highfalutin customers and marked down meat would be tarnishing their reputation. So they put their marked down meat on a rack in the back and offer it to their employees, which is a real nice side benefit, IMO. Anyway, our neighbor is in there so much, the meat market manager made him the employee offer. He buys most of the family's meat in the mark down racks in the back of the stores he services. They have 3 boys and boys EAT, his are still small, so it will only get worse from here. LOL

They went grocery shopping yesterday and brought us a sack of meat. In it was 5 Wagyu ribeyes, marked down. It cost us $20 for over 5 pounds of Wagyu ribeyes which the regular price was over $150!! :th

We abandoned the chicken breast I had thawed out for supper and set out one of the ribeyes. Then I got on the internet to find out how to cook this gorgeous hunk of meat. I wanted to make sure I did justice to the steak. I found the same method in quite a few sites, so I dove in.

Take a dry heavy iron skillet and put it in the oven, turn it to 500*. When it reaches temperature, put the skillet on a burner on high for 4 minutes. In the meantime, lightly rub the room temperature steak with oil, then sprinkle liberally with coarse kosher salt and grind black pepper on it, both sides.

(I only left the skillet on the burner for 2 1/2 minutes) With TONGS (not a fork) Place the steak in the skillet for 30 seconds each side. (I did 45 seconds each side and got it nice and seared/crusty)

Put the skillet back in the oven, turn down to 450. 2 minutes on each side for a rare steak, 3 minutes each side for medium rare.

Take it out, remove from skillet and cover with foil for 2 minutes.

I had my vegetables ready, broccoli, cauliflower, red bell pepper cut in strips and I dropped them in the hot skillet, shook in some soy sauce and stir fried them.

I cut the steak in half, thin sliced each half and fanned them on the plates and added the vegetables.

OMG. Best. Steak. We. Ever. Had.

I can see why this meat is so expensive and so glad that we have some more of them in the freezer!!! Almost everything I read said NOT to cook it on a grill or pit. The fat marbling has a low melting point and it would drip out of the meat, causing flare ups and leaving the meat tough and blech. I think I just learned a new way to cook a rib eye.
OMG BEST STEAK WE EVER HAD This beef is the total opposite of the "grass fed " poor excuse for meat ever con jobed onto our tables. The closest beef available to the US market before the importation of the Wagyu bulls for crossbreeding onto Angus cows is the Angus cattle that is fed corn, wheat and barley and all alfalfa hay that it would eat in a feedlot for 120 days, then butchered and the carcass grades as USDA PRIME, then hung in a cooler at 34* for 21 days. We used to buy a half carcass of this type of meat so tender that you could cut the steak with a fork . Later I used to buy an about a year old Angus, steer and feed it out for 150 days , butcher it myself , hang it at a butcher's cooler for 21 days for the BEST STEAK WE EVER HAD !!! :drool :drool :drool

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kobe beef is beef that has some Wagyu breed in it-usually the male. There are 4 different breeds within Wagyu in Japan. In Japan, the animals are fed a specific diet and massaged. What you buy in America has part of the breed in it and then corn fed. Extra carbs is what gives it the marbling. Lack of exercise-feed lots-is what keeps the meat tender. Hate to burst your bubble can get the same meat feeding Angus, short horn, etc heavy on corn. Finish them fast and high in carbs. In short, it's similiar to the old style pure angus.

Angus meat today just means the animal had black on it. There is no tracing of ancestors.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had prime Angus and it was very good. I did not have Kobe beef, I had Wagyu beef. The breed or one of the breeds that are kept in Japan for their production of Kobe beef is Wagyu. I seriously doubt that the ribeye steak we ate was put through the steps it takes to make a Kobe steak from Wagyu cattle. But it was darn good and it was the best steak we ever had.