Walking Onions

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was cleaning my unheated patio, and found a bag of walking onion bulbils DW had harvested last year. They have begun to sprout, and are amazingly healthy, given that they were harvested 8-9 months ago.

20220523_113117.jpg

20220523_114727.jpg

These are the full grown scallions as of today; they are exceptionally hardy, and begin to reach harvest size about the time tulips bloom. They reach this size the 2nd-3rd year, and multiply gradually... or quickly, if the bulbils are allowed to grow every year. I hate to see my DW's labor go to waste, so if anyone here is interested in growing these, I'd be happy to send some... just PM your address. They will need to be planted promptly, ideally in a location where they will be undisturbed. These have been in the same permanent location since 1997, with little care other than occasional watering when dry.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was cleaning my unheated patio, and found a bag of walking onion bulbils DW had harvested last year. They have begun to sprout, and are amazingly healthy, given that they were harvested 8-9 months ago.

View attachment 49066

View attachment 49068
These are the full grown scallions as of today; they are exceptionally hardy, and begin to reach harvest size about the time tulips bloom. They reach this size the 2nd-3rd year, and multiply gradually... or quickly, if the bulbils are allowed to grow every year. I hate to see my DW's labor go to waste, so if anyone here is interested in growing these, I'd be happy to send some... just PM your address. They will need to be planted promptly, ideally in a location where they will be undisturbed. These have been in the same permanent location since 1997, with little care other than occasional watering when
I send you a pm :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have some as well. They are milder than bulb onions. Wife eats them raw (gives me headaches) but I use them in cooking.

Agree, they are hard to kill. I find that you can harvest the top, put the roots back in soil, they grow again.

Latest posts