Was there a Product that Changed Your Diet?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
B2PaRDnIcAA-LDk_kindlephoto-3902251.jpg
Not quite what you may think but this introduction in the early '70's did change my diet. Yes! I eat more broccoli now!

:) During the 1970's, I worked on farms. Around here, it isn't surprising that one of those was a wheat farm. Looking in the bin on one of my first days of wheat harvest, it occurred to me to ask, "So, Elmer, where does all this wheat go?"

"They make noodles out of it."

Noodles? This wasn't durum wheat. Noodles?

Ever the dedicated employee ... I began eating ramen noodles. Cup of Soup wasn't quite my, uh, cup of soup. I really had to control the amount of salt that went in but I was determined to eat okay while still being worth my salt on the job.

For years, my broccoli consumption must have been in the top .1%, nationally ;). Yes, I eat a lot of stir-fry, prefer that on rice, but lots of bok choy goes in the ramen soup. I only seem to have my own broccoli during the spring but I cut down on winter purchases by having so much bok choy and such in my greenhouse last winter!

Healthy pizza? Something on French bread? Wiener Schnitzel? What processed food changed Your diet? Can we share some healthy tips?

;) Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I avoid all wheat products on the advice of my homeopathic physician. I switched to spelt flour and make my own bread. I use rice pasta and other types of grains. I eat no milk products except a bit of goat cheese. There are so many choices that it is not extreme as it may sound to you. If I eat a bit of wheat toast I immediately get a belly ache. The result is I have been able to keep my gall bladder, have lost at least 25 lbs. with out trying, no more middle aged bloat. And I feel fantastic. I had the best year health wise. I always caught every cold and flu-all of my life. Last winter I was not sick even though I am surrounded by germie rug rats.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was actually dog food that changed my mind about people food. :)

Until my husband got "his" dog, Rocco, I had never owned or lived with a dog before. I fell madly in love with him, and there was an incident involving nail polish on his very gentle, loving dog. (I swear it was orange when I painted it on. It dried pink.)

A month or so after that, my husband gave me my very own dog. The poor beast was crawling with fleas, had terrible skin, and vomited/belched at least 4-5 times a day. I spent a good $2,000 on vets trying to repair her, and while I did take care of the skin, that is about all I took care of.

My boss suggested trying a whole, raw food diet for Leia, and over the course of 93 days Leia went from incurable to the picture of health. (I have blood panels and pictures all along the way, because I wanted to prove it didn't work. Boy was I wrong!)

Her healing really sparked my interest in dog food, and I've since then started working with a lot of people with their dogs, and helping their 'incurable' dogs as well.

Her healing made me wonder about my food, and whether or not the stuff I was eating was any good either. I decided to make my own garden (and in turn discovered I was horrible at gardening!) and now I'm here, learning to be better. :)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
When the ramen noodle truck came into the landfill with the slude that they cleaned out of the cooking tank (2x/year) and the smell caused instant gag reflexes all over the landfill.... Instant noodles - OFF THE MENU from then on.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of course, this wasn't quite what I had in mind ;).

@catjac1975 must be telling us that spelt flour and rice noodles changed her life. Good Cat'!

Hot dogs, NyBoy???

@AMKuska , I used to spend quite a bit of time over on the feed forum, BYC. I thought I had some ideas - surprised at some of the others' ideas!

Yes, maintenance diets ... for pets and people. I hope that my diet is varied enuf to provide needed nutrients. And, I'd try to limit processed meats altho, I do want to enjoy eating. "short on ears and long on mouth." (John Wayne) Pilgrim ;).

In addition to my Asian pear, persimmon and overripe banana (hey! somebody has to eat 'em), I have huckleberry pancakes with my morning coffee. :). If it wasn't for pancakes and ice cream, I wouldn't eat so many ... okay, I better make that gallon of huckleberries last a year just like the last one ... too bad DW got off that scone-makin' binge ... oh yes! I never put jam on anything except a pancake! Pilgrim.

Steve :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dare I mention THE HOT DOG? I used to spend much of my summers living across from the Wisconsin State Fair Park and most of my money at the park. One day I think I may have eaten at least one of everything before getting on THE MOUSE. I felt bad. I got sick. I threw up everything. The last food I'd eaten was a hot dog. From that day to this I've not liked hot dogs and seldom have eaten them. That dislike spread to most processed meats high in preservatives and salt. I never figured skipping them was a big loss. I am part carnivore, but give me fresh raw meat to work with not the pre-processed stuff.

I have always preferred the real thing to substitutes so I never went for margarine -- stuck to less butter. Never went for diet soda -- stuck mostly to water and the occasional soda. Never went for lo-fat milk, cheese, etc. -- just ate the real thing but tried to control portions.

My downfall is more depression snacking and eating after DH has gone to bed. That was preceded by decades of getting by on 4 or less hours of sleep each night. Then, of course, there was my 7-8 years of sick when I couldn't (or didn't) get the exercise I needed.

Latest posts