Water Restrictions

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just got automated call from water department. kind of unusual call. They said with drought to many sprinklers where being used in the morning. Which was causing a drop in water pressure in morning. They asked home owners and landscapers to reset to every other day and afternoon watering.They have at times ban lawn watering and car washing. I knew we would pay for the no snow winter we had.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wonder why folks are using sprinklers in the morning anyway? Best time for watering anything is in the evening or at night, when there is less evaporation of the water.

Watering a lawn is a mystery to me...always has been. We spend inordinate amounts of time cutting that stuff down and some folks are out there watering it to make it grow? Then they pay someone to cut it down again. Strange!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with watering at night, while most people are sleeping? I know it's not good for most veggies, but what about grass?

In the afternoon, I would think most of it would evaporate quickly.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
They also pay for fertilizer so they have to cut it more often. Pay to water, pay to fertilize, pay to cut. It's a good life if you don't weaken.

Supposedly If you water before it can evaporate it leads to mold or mildew, at least in the garden. Watering is supposed to dry off the plants before night. That's why morning watering is recommended. I'll admit I don't always follow recommendations.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wonder why folks are using sprinklers in the morning anyway? Best time for watering anything is in the evening or at night, when there is less evaporation of the water.

Watering a lawn is a mystery to me...always has been. We spend inordinate amounts of time cutting that stuff down and some folks are out there watering it to make it grow? Then they pay someone to cut it down again. Strange!

That is generally what I feel too. When I lived in TX though, it was part of my rental contract to keep the yard watered...which I don't recall ever doing, nor did most renters. But when the lawn died, evil sandburrs would take over and let me tell you I paid for it anyway. Those things hurt! My long haired dog would get them caught in her paw pads and I spent a lot of time picking them out. Of course, the lawn was already pretty shabby to begin with when I moved there. Very run down property in a military town and I was too young and dumb to care. I am so glad we don't have sandburrs here!

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We never water our lawn, to be honest I shouldn't call it a lawn. Yes it is green in winter and spring but the rest of the year it is mostly brown, hey brown's a color too. I say mostly brown because the clover stays green and every fall I over seed with a bit more clover for the bees. The only thing we try to pull are dandelions and plantain. There's violets, creeping verbena, English daisies and lots of moss which is so cushy to walk on in the winter. It gets mowed once a week when it's growing, every two weeks when it slows done. Other then that it's left to it's own devices.
Annette

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is an advantage to being in the country. I keep the area around the house mowed to keep vermin away but for most of the rest of it I cut trails so I can walk in the morning without getting my feet wet when we have a heavy dew and to keep the ticks and chiggers down at other times. In the city I'd be destroying property values but my neighbors don't care. Some keep theirs manicured, some don't.

I do cut the rest a few times a year but for the most part I'd be better off with a bush hog instead of a mower.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking that if folks didn't bag and throw away their grass, they might have some nice mulch from grass clippings that would help them retain moisture to their lawns. Same with the leaves that fall....mulch them puppies up and leave 'em lay to feed the trees and grass. Folks throw away such valuable things that were meant to nourish and moisten the soil, then turn around and struggle to put it all back. It just makes no sense to me.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some town here will fine you, if your lawn is not watered they call it a fire hazard.

And....of course....the town provides the water for free? If not, they don't have a leg to stand on with such fines. It's insane to expect people to finance the wetting of grass that they had no hand in planting there in the first place. It's enough that they cut the grass.

Latest posts