We Almost Lost Parker

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Parker is our beloved black Lab/Great Dane goofball and is an integral part of our farm and family. Tuesday night he threw up massive volumes of water. He thought he would be in trouble as he NEVER does anything in the house, he looked so ashamed. We sopped it up with paper towels and he threw up a few more times. Dogs throw up sometimes. Then they are better. Wednesday he seemed ok. Our inside dogs have free choice kibble, sometimes they eat like it's going out of style, other times they skip a day or two. Thursday we left real early to go to a funeral 4 hours away and didn't get back until late. We had our neighbor go by and check on him and he said that Parker obviously didn't feel good. Worried, we couldn't wait to get home. Once home, we could see that there was something wrong, but what? His tail was droopy, he refused to eat, (and Parker NEVER refuses food) he just wanted to lay at DH's feet and look at us with imploring eyes. DH was practically in tears over the thought of Parker's suffering. We were at the vet the next morning when they opened.

Our vet x-rayed Parker, drew blood for tests and started an IV. The vet wanted to keep him for the day. We had to go to a Dr appointment for DH and called the vet when we were done. The vet said he thought Parker's intestine had "telescoped" over itself and if so, he would need surgery. His white blood cell count was on the high side of normal and the vet wanted to keep him overnight. He called us at 5:30 and told us a second x-ray showed more swelling and that he wouldn't sleep if he didn't operate on Parker immediately. We gave him our blessings. He called back a few hours later to tell us the results. It turned out that the intestine didn't telescope over itself, the blockage was.......A HICKORY NUT. :th

I know what happened. We have wild persimmon trees in the front pasture. The dogs love them. The sheep love them. They all run to the trees to hoover up the persimmons, trying to be the first to eat them ALL. There are also several hickory trees.......And now you know the REST of the story!

The vet called this morning to say that Parker is eating and drinking and we can pick him up in the morning. We have sorely missed him these 2 days. He is 104 pounds of exuberant life. He is happy, loving, excited all the time, protective of children-ANY children, fantastic playmate, great with the chickens and sheep, just an all around good dog. We adore him.

Trip and Parker helping unload dog food
helper-4-jpg.26882

Parker and our 23 month grand daughter, a couple of months ago
img_1083-jpg.26883

5 years ago, worried over my Mother, keeping watch over her.
img202-jpg.26885

Asleep and snoring in my lap, his back legs hung off the end of my recliner, LOL
img477-1-jpg.26886

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our oldest grand daughter when she was 6, both of them taking a nap
img722-jpg.26887

Parker LOVES baby chicks!
img735-jpg.26888

And baby ducks too!
img1581-jpg.26889

Dragging Trip around by the tail a couple of years ago
img2233-jpg.26890

Parker and Polly teaching young pup Trip how to play tug of war
img2244-jpg.26891

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Greetings, Glad your boy made it, sure looks satisfied in your lap. He's a great looking animal.
Never heard of telescoping intestine, I'm picturing the nut, you mentioned, pulling the intestine forward, I'll have to look it up.

Please give my very best to Parker and keep some for yourself and your DH.

Richard

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, I'm so glad he is recovering! How awful for you and DH to have to be somewhere else when your dog baby needed you.

Latest posts