we were talking about black ice...

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
got a knock on the door,figured it was ups or fedex, there stands a man i have never seen before.
hi i am so n so, just wanted to let you know last night my son hit your mailbox...
okay is your son alright?
yes but messed up his mustang i told him the roads are slick..
looked up the road um your son took out 2 mailboxes ours and the neighbors.
i only saw one.
lets go up there, sure enough both gone found the neighbors on the other side of the bushes
looks like he will replacing 2 mailboxes now...
all i ask that it's replaced today so we can get mail tomorrow.also please have numbers put on them so the mailman knows who is who..
would you prefer metal or wood?
metal please....
we talked for a bit. off to the neighbors house he went.....

that poor mailbox in the last 18 years has been attacked twice by baseball bats and no help for it now it's down for the count...
IMG_0797[1].JPG

IMG_0798[1].JPG

that young man was lucky he could have hit the power pole...

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I lived in suburbia I had one hit a few times. They'd run up against the curb and hit a rainwater drain in the side of the curb which was vertical, not sloped. When the front tire hit the end of that and back to the sloped part it would pull the steering wheel around so they hit the mail box. Took me a while to figure out what was happening. Of course they would generally just keep going. I got tired of replacing it so I concreted one in using a 2" pipe as a pole. If they were going to hit it they were at least going to sustain more damage than wooden post.

It wasn't that long before it got hit again. This time it was a football player (lineman) at a nearby university. He flattened that pipe. I happened to be outside and heard it. He was so mad at himself that he grabbed that pipe and straightened it back up. I just said thank you.

At least that guy's father took responsibility and set a good example for his son. And yes, glad he was not seriously injured.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
theres a road down from us that would be attacked every spring, 1 homeowner got feed up, made his mailbox stand is made out of 8" pipe and the box is encased by a 12" pipe....smart man

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
With all the slick days we get in winter you would think they could remember how to drive (or stay home) from year to year, NOPE. You can count on SCORES of accidents with the 1st bad weather. :(

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can not count how many times the mailboxes on my rode where pranked by teenagers. I finally had enough and looked up problem. I paid a few hundred for a Yankee swing pole. When box is hit it just awing away. This spring mine was only one standing one night.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
dont want sound like b'hole but it is a federal offense destroying a mailbox ...did look up there and all the destroyed boxes are gone..hope dad is a man of his word...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
It’s also illegal to use a mail box holder that can cause damage to a car-you are liable.

Kids think it’s fun to destroy mail boxes after filling themselves with antifreeze-or if you prefer, cough medicine. ;)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thought this was going to be a joke at first. Where was the son? If not injured, he should have been the one knocking on your door, not the dad. Dad should have been waiting in the car making sure job was done and done right... :caf (Yes, very lucky he didn't hit the utility pole!)

Latest posts