Weed torch

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought I saw a post on this, but can't find it. I'd like to get one for controlling weeds around my fence - would this a good idea to use along my chain link? I'm not sure if it would melt or damage my fence.

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We use ours along chainlink with no problems. They don't work quite as thoroughly as the ads show, but they do okay. Plan to hover over the weedy area for longer than advertised.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
No problem, along chain link. We love ours! Great for weeds in sidewalk cracks or driveways too. We use ours along the sides of the raised gardens too. The wood gets kind of black- but it works!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They're good for knocking the weeds down; a lot better and easier than a sickle. Be aware though that they usually don't kill the weeds, just knock them down since weeds in nature grow in grassland where fires are a natural part of the cycle so they have developed ways of recovering from fire. I fact some weed seeds grow faster after they have been exposed to heat.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Here's the one I am saving to buy!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dragon-VT...Z2FP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332103735&sr=8-1

Hubby thinks I'm NUTS, but this will be awesome for my paths and for the driveway. I am planning on using if for the new bed he tilled because a bunch of grass came back its taking me so long to clean it out. Yes... FIRE!!!!
that is the same one I've been looking at. I'm glad the chain link won't be a problem. I'm going to purchase one.

Hoodat - that's all I really want to do - just like the weedeater. I have a Ryobi and that thing can make me so mad. It's heavy, won't keep string and won't stay started once I finally get the stupid thing started.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth on the topic.. I've got a cheapie that I got a few years back from the local harbor freight store for perhaps $20.. It works fine and had a built-in piezo lighter which no longer works and so I just use a match. Ours has been beaten up as it sits outside next to the BBQ which is how I light our coals -- way faster than one of those BBQ chimneys.. I only fill the tank perhaps annually give or take but don't use it much for weed nuking although I did the other night when I moved a pot and picked up a piece of scrap 2x4 that was underneath the pot and found TONS of termites (the white workers sans wings) looking for a place to hide.. I fried the entire ground they were in to make sure they stay there and not in my house.. ;)

Latest posts