Welcome to Spring!

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm a day early here but I just couldn't wait. We are so excited for Spring to arrive, even with the threat of bad weather here for us today. I've been a bit slow here on my activity with so much going on- it's time to step back and reconnect with these great folks at TEG.

:clap HAPPY SPRING!

What are your goals for the season of renewal and planting? What sort of seeds will you be putting in the ground, or new projects will you take up? Organizing a cleaning day? Tell us all about it!

Lots of art projects going on this way while we wait for dry weather to break the ground. Going to be moving logs to rebuild our cabin (been inactive as we had a fire back on New Year's Day and lost alot...we are doing fine and blessed now though, and everyone stayed safe thank God). I've also got a goal to take at least one photo every single day of the Spring season of my surroundings- birds, flowers, trees, squirrels, creeks, leaves, garden work, tools, you name it!

Here is a little bit of motivation and devotion for Spring! I felt really inspired to make this while walking around and seeing all the blooms a few days back.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
always nice to be able to get ahead of things for a change.

i'm not sure if you are speaking of a fire in the main house or in a 2nd house/cabin, but either way i hope you are able to recover from that with insurance and help from family and all.

as for what i'm planning on planting and what actually gets planted, much the same as before, Mom is not too adventurous in what she eats so i stick with mostly things she will eat and i poke some odd bits of things in here or there for my own tastes. onions, peppers (red mostly a few green), garlic (already planted last year), tomatoes, dill, cucumbers, beans (as many as i can find room for), peas/pea pods, a few beets, not sure about potatoes. strawberry patches will be expanded or worked on. other large garden i'm currently weeding through will get planted whatever i can get going in there as i finish parts of it up. currently has garlic in there i'll probably eat as i'm going along. green garlic is a good early crop if you have the space for it.

mainly i just try to enjoy my life and efforts out there in the gardens and usually succeed. :)

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@flowerbug - The cabin was actually our main home, and with it being hand built there was no insurance on it. Between work and help others have given, we've been able to get tools to rebuild, have food, and they've given us clothes. We weren't going to ask for help, but in a small town word got around fast that we had a fire. It was mainly churches and family members- but we've said in better days ahead we will repay the kindness to them all and not accept this without giving it back in fairness.

Wishing you the best of success as you get to weeding and soon planting your other garden. Do the deer ever bother your beans or peas? We haven't been able to plant any last year, as year before they snuck into the garden and ate all ours. Didn't touch the corn!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for that short video HW. Very sweet, especially with the birdsong accompaniment. :)

Sorry to hear you had a fire, what a frightening experience that must have been. I'm happy to hear that you are getting help. It's nice to let others be a blessing, and pass on the goodness God has showered on them. Then we can pass it on when it's our turn.

We still have ample snow here on our property, the garden areas are covered, so at least I'm not feeling too far behind in that department. The tomatoes and peppers are up and getting good growth in the house.
We have a lot of projects for the summer, repurposing sheds and rearranging work areas, and a few building projects, hopefully we will not get exhausted before they are finished.
Garden wise I would like to start putting in raised beds with hardware cloth in the bottoms to discourage the gophers that seem to be multiplying faster than I can trap them.
We'll see.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@HomesteaderWife Love the video, thank for sharing. We had a house fire back in 2007. WOW has it been 11 years! Scary at the time. Lost STUFF but everyone safe. God is Good. It showed us so much about the generosity of friends and strangers alike. Hope you will recover quickly, too.

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom - Thank you for telling me how your Spring preparations are going, and about your Summer goals too! It's hard for me to think about other people having snow- we've had nearly 80 degree weather down here and a bunch of thunderstorms. I'm so glad you have your tomatoes and peppers already going- I hope they stay growing strong and healthy. Best wishes for strength, good weather, and success in your future projects! Hopefully you can get those darn nuisance gophers taken care of- the raised bed with hardware cloth seems like a really good idea.

@Carol Dee - Goodness, I am sorry to hear you had your own fire. Yes, things can be lost but people cannot be replaced! We were so blessed that all of us were safe. And yes, we really learned about God's love and provision through His children. Thank you for your well wishes!