Well, what do we have here?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I said I wasn't ready for a new dog yet, but it's not every day someone offers me such a nice puppy. :) Her name is Marley. She's a golden retriever (@Jared77 ), has papers and my friend paid $650 for her, but wouldn't take any money for her! He was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder and their kids are busy in high school, so I guess they couldn't keep up with her. She's a very active little girl.

IMGP3049b_web.jpg

My kids are having a blast. :love She is so sweet natured and eager to please and I'm sure I'll have her trained in no time. She came to us already crate and potty trained (for the most part) at 11 weeks old (which helps since I haven't had time to replace my carpet yet.)
IMGP3052b_web.jpg

Savannah dressed herself this morning, bow and all...loves red, lol.
IMGP3055b_web.jpg

She is a bottomless pit! I've been giving her the recommended puppy ration, morning and evening feedings, but she is always looking for more. She searches every square inch of the floor looking for bits of things to eat, whether edible or not. o_O Is that normal for goldens? I don't want to overfeed her. The kids will also learn the hard way not to leave their toys laying on the floor. I forgot how puppies are! I've had a dog in my life for 18 years...can't live long without one.
IMGP3059b_web.jpg

IMGP3062b_web.jpg

IMGP3064b_web.jpg

IMGP3068b_web.jpg

IMGP3071b_web.jpg

IMGP3075b_web.jpg

The cat is NOT happy about this new development. :p
IMGP3083b_web.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is one cute puppy! Well, I guess it's a good thing that you haven't replaced your carpet yet! Wouldn't want that new puppy christening new carpet. ;)

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very nice could not have picked a better breed for children. She is growing fast make sure you increase her food as she grows. When it comes to puppy training remember crate crate crate crate and more crate. The crate will be your best friend. Good luck with your new family member. Has a stool sample been checked for worms?

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
OMG a Golden Retriever, I am in love. :love I always tell DH I did not want a dog. Not his hunting dog. ( But I would LOVE a Golden. shhhh ;) )

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Journey! That's just a heaped up blessing isn't it? I'm thrilled for you and your girls :hugs.
You're going to have the best time and make the most wonderful memories with her. Nicely done on your friends part, his generosity
will come back to him I'm sure.
Happy happy! :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is one cute puppy! Well, I guess it's a good thing that you haven't replaced your carpet yet! Wouldn't want that new puppy christening new carpet. ;)

Mary

We'll be doing hardwood and tile when we do replace it. Will be nice to mop and bleach and know it is really clean. For now I am taking her out every hour or two during the day.

Very nice could not have picked a better breed for children. She is growing fast make sure you increase her food as she grows. When it comes to puppy training remember crate crate crate crate and more crate. The crate will be your best friend. Good luck with your new family member. Has a stool sample been checked for worms?

Yes, sometimes it is like a toddler spending time in the playpen so I can turn my back for a sec and get something done. She gets into everything!

My friend said she has had all shots but the last set. I'd assume they checked for worms too and will again. I am going to change over her food to a brown rice and lamb which made such a big difference in my other dog's health and digestion. They were feeding her Purina puppy chow. Corn just goes right through them mostly undigested.

I will give it a few months and reassess how blessed I feel, ha. ;) I'm very grateful for the gift of such a beautiful dog. I will be glad when the puppy days are past us though. She's a bit rotten at times, very hyper and nippy. But I think she'll learn quickly. I am glad to have a walking partner again too.

Latest posts