what a mess!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So Dh and I just got back from a lovely week at the beach to a HUGE mess in the garden. I guess I wasn't very clear on the gardening chores. She house sat in the winter and did a fine job, but apparently we neglected to tell her that the chickens don't free range in the summertime! :barnie Needless to say, they had a grand time while we were gone! So the morning was spent clearing out what they had pecked over, and then picking the piles of veggies that clearly hadn't been picked in days. I don't think the girl was deliberately slacking off, but just has no understanding of the concept of gardening. Luckily, nothing's ruined, but it's going to take some work to get it all back in shape. :rolleyes:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh brother! What a disappointment! That is exactly why I didn't join Dh on his 17 day camping trip. I just couldn't imagine what would happen to the garden in that length of time! Good luck putting it all back together!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is amazing that what we take to be common sense is a mystery to others. We had a teenager animal sit for us many years ago. He could not remember if the chickens went in the chicken house at night and outside in the day, or out at night and in during the day. I wish I was there to see him trying to chase chickens into the henhouse early in the morning.....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
At least while you were enjoying your vacation you were blissfully unaware of what was taking place at home!
It does make going away problematic. I don't have anyone I trust to take care of things except my sons, and they aren't always available.
Fortunately, we don't leave too often.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cat, you're right - dh & I were wondering why she'd ever think we'd want the chickens tearing up our garden, but I guess she just assumed we didn't care. Or she was wondering what kind of crazy people let their chickens destroy their lovely garden but didn't want to offend us by asking. :lol:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just got back from a one week's vacation also. Left my 30yr. old daughter in charge and everything was fine. But boy, did I worry before I left. I kept telling my husband that I preferred to pay someone because I don't trust my kids! The chickens and garden are not their top priority.

Green beans and tomatoes weren't picked so today I had to pick and water everything.

Mary