What are these?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Found them in my raised bed. Are they good or bad grubs?

Attachments

• FCFF301C-0A3D-467D-A7B0-3556132D178D.jpeg
    FCFF301C-0A3D-467D-A7B0-3556132D178D.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just googled them and they are indeed grubs. Should I just hand pick them or is there something organic that I can add to get rid of them. I'm afraid if I leave them there that they are going to eat my starts.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are grubs that will turn into beetles. There are thousands of different kinds of beetles, I have no idea what beetles those will turn into. Some beetles can be beneficial, some can be harmful (think Japanese beetles), and many are benign. I can't think of any grub that will emerge from the soil and eat your starts but they can and probably will eat the roots. I don't let grubs live when I find them. Your chickens should enjoy them.

I don't know of any organic treatment to kill them since they are buried in the soil. I'm sure you can find some if you google it. I don't treat for grubs as I don't want to kill other living things in the soil, many other things are beneficial. I also don't go looking for grubs, but if I see one it dies.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
As much problem as nematodes are to me ...

. "beneficial" nematodes are supposed to be effective for root grubs, Mary.

They don't seem too common here - well, neither the grubs nor the "beneficials," if there are some out there. I've no experience with either. The "friendly" nematodes are thought by some of the Cooperative Extension people to be very effective for grubs. They also mention "milky spore" but, I guess, it's only for the Japanese beetle.

Steve
who, not knowing subject, has used up his quota of quotation marks for the day

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
As much problem as nematodes are to me ...

. "beneficial" nematodes are supposed to be effective for root grubs, Mary.

They don't seem too common here - well, neither the grubs nor the "beneficials," if there are some out there. I've no experience with either. The "friendly" nematodes are thought by some of the Cooperative Extension people to be very effective for grubs. They also mention "milky spore" but, I guess, it's only for the Japanese beetle.

Steve
who, not knowing subject, has used up his quota of quotation marks for the day
What are friendly nematodes? Where can I buy some?

Mary

Latest posts