What are you canning now?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
DD (chef) is going to try her hand at making a brisket into corned beef.
We are NOT going to use the pink salt. Something about toxicity...
So...it is likely to look more gray.
But, I LOVE corned beef and cabbage!!
These are not Promised meals, they are of necessity.
The ribs will probably be bbq'd. That would be great with scalloped potatoes, and/or mac n cheese.
Dang, we will be eating good this winter!!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pressure canning 4 more quarts, as we speak. There were all of the bones and a LOT of turkey in the 2 crock pots.
I have 3 more meals for Eva in the fridge!
I find that, after pouring the contents through a metal colandar and using a meat fork you can "hear" the bones that you cannot see. No bones in the dog food.
It is REALLY rich broth, too.
The 2 crock pots are cooling, and I will start beef broth tonight, before I go to bed. My kitchen freezer is bursting!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Started 2 crockpots with beef soup bones, t bone steak bones and some other beef roast bones.
I will add some vegetables to them tomorrow and I plan to pressure can the results on Friday, then keep doing beef batches until I get through the bones in the freezers.
I am thanking my past self for 3 extra 12 packs of quarts that I had stored out of the way in the basement pantry!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH and I made chili. I had to play "hurry up" on softening the beans, which I did by boiling in my big electric turkey sized roaster, then simmering for a few hours--
--that we use for chili batches. I made Way more beans than we needed, 4 quarts of leftovers, so I pressure canned them. I kept them cool for a few days, started the canner with cold beans and cold water.
DH has been talking forever about perfecting a baked beans recipe, so here are 4 quarts that he can do ANYTHING with.

Attachments

• Beans, 02-21-24.jpg
    Beans, 02-21-24.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts