what are you cooking for christmas dinner?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
we decided to switch things up, instead of doing a smoked herb crusted prime rib,duchess potatoes,asparagus with a bearnaise sauce,rolls and pie...

this year going to smoke 4 boston butts<need to clean out the freezer> with that said the butts are going to meet the north and south..."" in no words was i talking about you yankees"" was talking about north and south carolina styles of bbq...... the butts will be injected with george's original bbq sauce
200613-600x600-A.jpg

and once injected going to do a wet rub of mustard rub except of using dry mustard going to use french's yellow, a nice coat....
For the rub and Boston butt:

· 2 teaspoons dry mustard

· 2 teaspoons sweet paprika

· 2 teaspoons salt

· 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

· 1 teaspoon ground white pepper

· 1 teaspoon garlic powder

· 1 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

once done with that cover in cheese cloth..
smoke at 225* for hours upon hours.
served with mac and cheese,cole slaw,buns and sweet apples and ice cream...

and going to try a hand a making pork tamales the new years ...

whats your menu going to be..?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Italians big meal is Christmas eve There has to be at least 7 fish dishes. My mother made a stuffed squid only then, I loved it My sister has tried every year to make but never the same. Christmas day is either turkey or ham

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Christmas Eve is D-I-L's parents big hosting event so I'll be free of cooking for that day. For Christmas, it's the (Who's and our) traditional roast beast on the rotisserie with whatever fix'ns D-I-L and Gypsy decide to make with the rib roast. So many big changes around here that everyone is looking forward to 'normal' for the holidays.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're having custom, hand made tamales with home made salsa, taquitos, and rice and beans, and a simple green salad.
Home made tortilla chips with fresh guacamole on the side.

The custom made tamales and home made salsa are coming direct from my friend Marys kitchen. :love

Thank you Mary :):hugs

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just remember, NO PIX, didn’t happen.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Going to my sisters house. she is getting cabinets next week. Ought to have most of the house finished by Christmas. (her house took 7' of water from Hurricane Harvey)

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hopefully we will get an invite from our daughter for Christmas dinner (turkey and all the trimmings) but will probably be on Christmas Eve. They usually leave either late Christmas Eve or early Boxing Day, hit a ferry and drive to the interior to spend part of Christmas with their daughter, her hubby and grand kids. Christmas day here for us will be just lounging around watching some TV and snacking on whatever we can find, a really laid back day. If I'm prodded into it I might even cook something. Boxing day a roast of beef or pork but, in the evening I usually make a turkey sandwich that is if I can score some turkey to bring home, a couple of pickled onions and dig out my dvd of Holiday Inn. Over the years this seems to have become a ritual with me.

Annette

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have a brunch with my family, for which everyone makes something. I'm gonna make a cinnamon sugar pull apart bread, it's so good! :drool
After brunch we play 'shuffleboard' and everyone brings a small present, winner get's the first pick. Then it's onwards to the inlaws and we don't have to cook anything :bow

Latest posts