What Bread Machine Do You Recommend?

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'd like to get a bread machine, since we love fresh bread, but we can't always seem to find the time to make it ourselves. I've been doing a little research, and I found that some are called bread machines, and some are called bread makers. What's the difference? Is there a brand that I should aim for? Or one I should avoid? I found a Cuisinart one that looked nice for $125. We have several other Cuisinart appliances, and they're all very good. I'd like to stay at about the $100 range.

What's your suggestion?

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got mine from a friend... it was her dads.

I never actually bake the bread in there anyways... I just make the dough.

Sorry I can't help. :/

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love my Cuisinart convection bread machine. It makes 3 size loaves though I only make the largest. It is my second bread machine. I do not remember the brand of the first one. They last a long time. I don't think it was very expensive. I bought it on line.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Mine was a second hand gift. Can't remember the name off the top of my head. I use it quite regularly, but I do have one complaint. The little mixer, gets stuck in the end of the bread EVERY time. Then I have to wiggle it to get the bread out of the pan. It causes a big whole in the end pieces or bread.

So I personally would try to find one that doesn't do that. Other than reading reviews, I am not sure how you would know actually. :rolleyes:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think no matter which machine you buy- you will be happier if you bake the bread in the oven. (as nachoqtpie says). I make all our bread and have for several years. In the morning before I shower, I throw the ingredients into the bread machine on the dough setting. When it is done mixing, I take the dough out, and let it rise in a couple of bread pans for 1/2 hour. Then into the oven for 25 minutes. No mess is really generated. I tried using the bread machine for baking about a billion times. It just never came out right. This way the loaves come out perfect.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine bread is perfect every time and I would never make the extra mess of putting it in the oven. The whole point for me is to put it in the machine push a button and eat it when still warm.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't care for the little brick with the hard crust all around it... Maybe your machine does a better job than mine. If I do it in the oven- I get two small loaves, which works better for us- since it is just the 2 of us....

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My machine lets you select the crustiness. I select the light crust and it is perfect. I do not use whole wheat flour. COuld that be the difference. I use spelt pastry flour.
lesa said:
I don't care for the little brick with the hard crust all around it... Maybe your machine does a better job than mine. If I do it in the oven- I get two small loaves, which works better for us- since it is just the 2 of us....

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think you can find them often at thrift stores. We got ours as a family hand-down, use it sporadically for bread...and when i do make bread, i let the bread machine do it all, mixing and baking. Its okay, i can see how it would be better to bake it in the oven, but i just dont take the time to mess with it. What we use ours for the most is pizza dough. Just put the ingredients together in the morning, let it do its thing, the dough waits all day for you, and easy dinner when you get home from work!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I love using it for pizza dough, as well! I do use whole wheat flour (half) so maybe that is the difference.

Latest posts