What Breed of Chickens Are These ?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seabrights are a bantam size. I have 3 of the golden. They do fly out over a 4' fence at will. Clipping the flight feathers on one wing does help. I just let mine go out though. They are better able to avoid predators if they can fly (mine will go up on the roof of the porch or garage if chased.) Since they are small, they don't tear the flowerbeds up as much as a standard size bird, they are controlling bugs for me and I like to watch them running around. Only downside is the hens will hoard clutches of eggs and disappear to brood if possible. Better hope they're not fertile unless you want 20 banties! :eek: Or you could build a run with aviary netting over the top...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 Now come on, the hen couldn't cover 20 eggs-not even her own. :). Plus they have an infertility gene that they never hatch 100%. Pretty breed but more for show as eggs small, young too small to eat.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 Now come on, the hen couldn't cover 20 eggs-not even her own. :). Plus they have an infertility gene that they never hatch 100%. Pretty breed but more for show as eggs small, young too small to eat.

Lol, yeah, I have found some huge clutches for such little birds. One of mine hatched out a single chick in the middle of winter. Grew up to be the most annoying, mentally unbalanced chicken I have ever owned. If I could catch her, I would eat her!