What came first -- the chicken or the garden?

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to do an unofficial poll. Many of you, if not all, came here from BYC . . . so what came first in your life, your chickens or your garden?

I was gardening for probably 8 years before my interest in gardening brought me into keeping ducks. Now the ducks are an integral part of my life. I never would have imagined.

So how about you?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gardens since childhood.

Chickens since last April (in fact, last tuesday was the first anniversary of our chicken-having-ness :))... originally only as a utilitarian thing, for eggs, but it turns out they are actually really neat critters so we're getting a bunch more :)

Pat

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Garden. Normal people have gardens. Then some descend into lunacy and get chickens.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

I also started with ornamental gardening. It wasn't until I started seriously looking into vegetable gardening that I got excited about poultry.

Buff Shallots -- I prefer to think of it as eccentricity, rather than lunacy. ;)

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Buff Shallots said:
Garden. Normal people have gardens. Then some descend into lunacy and get chickens.
Uh-Oh...
:p

Ummm... I have chickens. The garden is still a fantasy!

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sunnychooks, you indeed started off the deep end. There may be professional help available to you if you want to get sane enough to start a garden.

jmk3482

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I started the insanity of chickens first.

Now I'm moving into gardening. Both flower and vegetable.

I think composting is next.:tools

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Gardening since I was little, both ornamental and veggie. The chickens started innocently enough for eggs and our friends all thought we were nuts. Well....one just let out her new RIR chicks for the first time this past week and another is looking into which type they want to raise. :gig The insanity is apparently contagious!

Latest posts