What do you feed your goats from your garden?

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'll be getting my first goats in a few months, and I'd like to know what their favorites are from the garden. I'm currently planning my garden for this year, and I'll plant extras of whatever they like. They're boer goats. Suggestions?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are these meat goats Schmije?

My goats ( Nubian/Nigerian X ) have their own weird little quirks. What one likes the other will blow it's nose at. They do love apples, but if the horse puts his lips on it first they are disgusted and won't touch it.

I would guess that sunflowers would be popular, and certain greens depending on individual tastes. It will probably be a trial and error thing.

They do however adore landscaping, especially if it's your prize XYZ. So be aware that when they break out, that will be tops on their list.

Growing up we had Nubians and Saanens, and I have no experience with Boers. Maybe they're the well behaved citizens of goat society.

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes, these are meat goats. I'm not counting on good behavior, and I know that if they break out, all bets are off.

I thought they might like tomatoes, lettuce and strawberries, but I'm really not sure. We do have some apple trees outside their pen, so I'll try those this fall.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd just try giving them whatever you have any extra of, you never can tell what might be a favorite. Since they're browsers you could give them tree prunings, mine really work those over, even peeling the bark off the apple branches.

We have a lot of thinning work to do around here, so I toss them brush and conifer limbs. Keeps them occupied anyway. :)

Latest posts