What do you trust for Clean, Small Clean, Germ free

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
There is something you prepare as food, what do you use to satisfy yourself that: surfaces, counters, pots, tools won't inoculate what you are concocting and/or storing, ageing or fermenting?

I use heat with Stainless, boiling water in the pot to be used for cheese, even the synthetics used can be for a short time put into the hot water. For surfaces I use White Vinegar, I spray it on my hands, on the press, in the forms and on spoons and knife.

Detergent is toxic to food cultures~used in bread, cheese and such, although I might scrub pots, special attention is paid to rinsing. Even Chlorine causes concern.
-------------------------------------------------
What, makes you comfortable all is free of unwanted culture?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vinegar spray is one of the best cleaners. When I'm particularly concerned with what's been on the counter, I spray with vinegar, wipe dry, followed by a hydrogen peroxide spray. What the acid doesn't kill, the base will. No problem, no germ-y creatures. Otherwise, it's hot sudsy water from the dish-washing that's used for all the normal washing up.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Most often I use a dishwasher. I use German tablets without chlorine and phosphates. Such tablets must contain active oxygen and organic components, protein molecule. Maker I clean citric acid. Baking and chopping boards - baking soda, it is safe. When the children were small, I washed the dishes baby mustard powder.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quote Larisa : "Baby mustard powder"

Hi, I've never heard of that. But I found this:

Why is mustard good for me?

The Greeks and Romans were on to something when they used mustard seeds for medicinal purposes. The mustard plant, like broccoli, radish and cabbage, belongs to the brassica family, a group of vegetables that contain health-promoting glucosinolates. Enzymes in the seeds then break these down into isothiocyanates. These compounds give mustard its eye-watering pungency, and many studies now suggest that they also seem to inhibit the growth of cancer cells, most notably in the gastrointestinal tract and colon. Mustard seeds are an excellent source of selenium, a trace element that is also thought to have an anti-cancer effect.UK soils are generally low in selenium so eating mustard, and mustard seeds, can help boost your selenium level.

Mustard Oil
Mustard oil widely used in cooking and pickling is always to be found at home. This oil has innumerable medicinal values which are very useful in curing and treating a wide range of diseases and disorders. It is full of antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that arrest the bleeding, prevent infection and reduce the swelling and pain.

- See more at: http://www.findhomeremedy.com/home-remedies-for-healing-wounds/#sthash.GV2MuPSk.dpuf

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
We use a dishwasher too, and appropriately use, I think, everything mentioned in the your posts. Certain cleaning products, I've found, interfere with the making of cheese and mazoon (yogurt). Vinegar I rely on heavily, in cheese making because of it's anti fungal action.
We use a Hypochloride in the hot tub.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dry mustard - it is a natural antiseptic. it is sold in Russia.
gorchica-ot-kashlya.jpg
This is for food, and dry mustard perfectly clean dishes. If someone has a cold, then it is necessary to pour the dry mustard in socks at night and need to sleep in them overnight. It warms up legs . :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
An old remedy for chest congestion was a "mustard plaster" which I would think is made of dry mustard and ...?? Some garlic or horseradish maybe, to cut through the phlegm? It was rubbed on the chest of the ailing person. Kind of like we do with Vicks Vaporub for little kids.

Latest posts