What garden plants WONT ducks eat?

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm a newbie to the duck Mommy thing-mine are still in their eggs (but developing nicely!) but I've heard that ducks eat pretty much everything. Grass, herbs, veggies, fruits,....basically nothing is safe. Oh, I did hear you can trust them around blackberries if you have the bushes that have thorns!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am new to ducks too.... they are quite hungry from what I've seen and go to town on a lot in the pond. They enjoy the little fishes most. Now, we do have cat tail out there they seem to have left alone.

I have a feeling my Lotus will be under attack... but I'm growing them inside, then moving to buckets out on the deck... and eventaully moving to the pond when the leaves get over 12" and are much hardier. I think they will survive fine then.

Smaller plants don't seem to have a chance.

(I did see a corkscrew type plant that looks like it would hardy enough to hold off ducks!)

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Smaller plants don't seem to have a chance.
LOL

Anything green and tender is fair game. :p

That being said, I have quite a few patches of sedum they don't seem to have bothered.

This ground cover near my snap dragons has also been ignored. I will see if I can find a close up. I can't remember what it is called...
1002769ek8.jpg

Ahh! Here we go!
1002516.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
awwww.... off subject... but those snap dragons look like the one's I ordered and moved out to my garden this year. I love those DEEP reds. I think its my only red plant that has survived!

Good luck on the pond. I'm used to our 2+ acre pond. I sometimes wish the ducks would eat the trumpet vine that has taken over out there... but I have to cut that back and burn it to keep contol!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ducks will avoid herbs and poisonous plants. If you find a list of deer resistant plants, you can pretty well assume that they are also duck resistant plants.

All water and marginal plants are fair game as far as I can tell.

If they have a good supply of plants that they like to eat, I have found they will do less damage to some of the landscaping plants that they might otherwise have at. At least this has been my experience with rushes and sedges.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you find a list of deer resistant plants, you can pretty well assume that they are also duck resistant plants.
Awesome tip!!!

I have seen some plants here with "Deer Resistant" labels on them for the people who live a little further west. The deer are big giant pests up in the Broadmoor, Manitou Springs, and Old Colorado City areas.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I recommend you do a google search for a comprehensive list of deer resistant plants for your area. I hope you find some plants that you like that the ducks don't like so much. :)

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a variety of plants and I want to place some around my pond. My ducks have other ideas :p

What have you found that ducks wont eat?
I've heard that ducks don't like to eat spiky or thorny plants, or plants that have a strong scent.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems like a very long time ..

. since Wifezilla was around here.

With that outrageous avatar!

;) Steve

Latest posts