What I learned in canning class...

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I signed up for a canning class sponsored by Purdue University. I learned so much! It was great; only $10, I received a Ball Blue Book and learned a lot.

The number one thing the instructor kept repeating was Safety. I used to think I could just can anything I wanted canned. Using all my recipes for salsa, spaghetti sauce, etc.. That is not the case. You need to use recipes approved by the USDA. That way you are using a recipe that has been tested in a lab, the amount of time spent boiling is accurate, you kill all the bacteria & force-out the air.

I have a great website with links to lots of recipes and storage tips to share:

www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/food_preservation_color_pubs.pdf

:happy_flower

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I bought my first pressure canner this year and was planning to do exactly what you said--can my own recipes. Then I heard the same thing as you, that it's not safe. After some thought, that made sense to me. For example, say a quart of your spaghetti sauce has 2 cups of meat in it and mine has a half cup, I imagine that would make a huge difference in the processing times. Oh well.....

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
tinychicken said:
I bought my first pressure canner this year and was planning to do exactly what you said--can my own recipes. Then I heard the same thing as you, that it's not safe. After some thought, that made sense to me. For example, say a quart of your spaghetti sauce has 2 cups of meat in it and mine has a half cup, I imagine that would make a huge difference in the processing times. Oh well.....
That's exactly what our instructor said! She also said that if you increase the headspace from 1" to 1/4th inch it increases the processing time 40 minutes. Who knew?

I would love to have a pressure canner, but one step at a time (this is what I tell myself when I want to purchase something else for my ss seeking lifestyle). :lol:

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I will be taking my first canning class the end of July, while I have always used the recipes out of the Ball Blue Book, I am still looking forward to the class. Mostly interested in the pickle part of it.

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
rockytopsis said:
I will be taking my first canning class the end of July, while I have always used the recipes out of the Ball Blue Book, I am still looking forward to the class. Mostly interested in the pickle part of it.
You will love it :thumbsup

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is awesome. I will totally look for a canning class in my area. I did make some strawberry preserves and sweet relish this year. But botulism freaks me out so that is as far as it goes. Thank for the info.

Latest posts