What is a good, cheap pressure canner?

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Don't say craigslist, either... I have been looking all year, and all I see are wanted adds instead of for sale adds. :) everyone wants to can I guess.

I would actually prefer something new anyway, so I will know the guage and seal are good.

I found some nice ones at Walmart this year, I just wondered if their were any other good sources, especially online. We are kinda trying to avoid walmart buying as much as we can. :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a very old used one from a yardsale, after an elderly lady my grandpa knew passed. I have yet to get everything tested, but it looks to be in good shape. Gave $25 for it (holds 7 qt jars), a smaller pressure cooker, and also a bunch of jars and canning books. I could never be so lucky to find something like that myself! My grandpa haunts yardsales throughout the summer.

But really, a new one isn't too expensive. I've seen them onsale for $65 before for a big one, a Rival I think it was. If you're going to be using it a lot, you might just go ahead and buy a nice new one. So many things have to be tested and replaced on them over time, and the replacement parts are so expensive, you will end up paying that much altogether anyway. I have to order about $45 in parts for mine to get going, plus shipping! :rolleyes:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you haven't done canning before, I recommend water bath. There are some things you can't do (beans, meats, etc.), but for basic garden stuff they work great. I used my pot with basket on a turkey fryer base- using propane outside on the deck. It worked beautifully and kept the house cool. Good luck!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
If you haven't done canning before, I recommend water bath. There are some things you can't do (beans, meats, etc.), but for basic garden stuff they work great. I used my pot with basket on a turkey fryer base- using propane outside on the deck. It worked beautifully and kept the house cool. Good luck!
That is a great idea for water bath canning (especially if your stove is electric...blah). I need to invest in a propane turkey fryer anyway for when I process chickens. I hear it is perfect for the job. :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, my stove is not only electric, but it has a glass top... Some controversy about canning on it (though I have.) Using the propane really worked for me. A friend gave me his, but I have seen them for 40.00 and I would have gladly paid that! I am sure it would work great for chicken processing, as well. Can't wait for canning season!!!

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I actually have canned before, water bath and pressure. :) I am planning to can a lot of beans and corn this year, and i also want to can a batch of meat birds this spring, so I have to have a pressure canner.

I think Rival is the brand Walmart had too.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw the one on sale at a local farm and feed store (mom and pop). Those are a good place to try, if you want to stay out of Walmart. Online is many options too. Here is where I was looking to buy parts for my used canner, a National #7... Cooking and Canning Company

Haven't actually placed an order with them yet, but priced my parts there.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bought a Rival at WalMart, great canner. I've used it for water bath and pressure canning. Doesent have the gauge uses weights for the relief, so you don't need to worry about testing. New Years Eve we used it to steam crab legs, so it looks like instead of sitting on the shelf all winter it got a little work out.

THANX RICH

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not used the Rival so cannot comment on them. I got a Presto 30 quart pressure canner. It is big enough to either water bath or pressure can. We usually can in pints since there are only two of us. It can handle 7 quarts for pressure canning, 18 regular pints for pressure canning if you get the extra rack, and 9 regular pints for water bath.

I know they are not real cheap, but for something that is essentually a bomb in your kitchen, I'd get something you are confident in, something big enough to handle what you want, and something capable of doing both processes.

Good luck!

Latest posts