What is doin this to my cuccumbers ?

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Jist two days ago my cuke plants were healthy as can be and makin mass quantities o' cukes. Now they look like they're literaly witherin away before my eyes. There are many young cuckes on these two vines and they also are dryin up and dyin.
I can find no obvious damage to any parts o' the plants other than this wilted dryin up look. They git all the sun and water they need and i've changed nothin in thier care.
Could this be the work o' one dem bugs that gits into the main trunk o' the plant at the base or below the base ? If so, what do i do to save the rest o' the plants from this same damage ?

Picture008Small-9.jpg

Picture007Small-4.jpg

Picture006Small-6.jpg

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My first guess is cucumber beetles. You should check the underside of leaves for eggs or for beetles. The reason I say cucumber beetles is because they can spread mosiac diseases which can cause wilt.

Since they are wilting, they are diseased. The only thing that can fix this is to remove the plants before the disease spreads.

Good luck!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know this isn't helpful now, but planting some sunflowers next year may help. They attract cucumber beetles. You just take them off of them.

I'm sorry for the problem you're having.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
My first guess is cucumber beetles. You should check the underside of leaves for eggs or for beetles. The reason I say cucumber beetles is because they can spread mosiac diseases which can cause wilt.

Since they are wilting, they are diseased. The only thing that can fix this is to remove the plants before the disease spreads.

Good luck!
Thanx Carlos, i'll git out there and yank those two limbs before this spreads too bad.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tutter said:
I know this isn't helpful now, but planting some sunflowers next year may help. They attract cucumber beetles. You just take them off of them.

I'm sorry for the problem you're having.
Thanx Tutter, i did plant the sunflowers but i guess i did it too late cause they are still growin up and we've been pickin cukes fer about 2 weeks now. Guess i'm gonna hafta allow my younger chikens into the garden and see what they can catch and eat. I'll hafta plan better and plant earlier next year i guess.

GrandBob

Sprout
Reaction score
To me it looks like a fungus rather than a bug - called Powdery Mildew. Before you pull them up, try one more thing. You have nothing to loose at this point. Powdery Mildew is usually caused by much wet weather followed by cool damp nights and warm days. Sound familiar?

Beg, Borrow, or Steal a copy of Jerry Bakers "Garden Solutions". Second thought don't steal the book :thun. Buy it at the local book store or borrow it from the local library. Here you will find a simple formula for just this type of thing. It worked for me last year. It at least increased my cucumber harvest by 3 weeks. Mine looked like a few hours away from complete destruction when I saturated the plant leaves top and bottom with this formula. Powdery Mildew may not be what I see in these pictures but it's my best guess.
Good Luck!
GrandBob
PS: Let me know if it worked out OK

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You must o' been watchin our weather here GranBob lol
That is exactly what was goin on with it. Also, i don't know if this is any connection, but i tilled mushroom manure into my ground before i planted and after a lot o' rain i had a white fungus all over the ground.
I will try and get the book and give yer suggestion a try.
Thanx, Jim

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Personally, and I know a few others here will agree, Jerry Baker's book of garden solutions isn't worth it and many of the "solutions" listed can cause more harm than good.

Taking a second glance, it could be powdery mildew. :/ I'm not sure why I didn't suggest that also. Eyes wearing on me I guess.

If this is the case then, I would suggest mixing 1 part milk with 9 parts water and spraying them plants twice a week for a couple of weeks. This usually helps with powdery mildew.

Or

A mixture of 1 tablespoon baking soda, 1 tablespoon of horticultural oil, 1/2 teaspoon of soap in 1 gallon of water. Although this usually helps as a preventative measure.

This can help also.

Good luck!