What is this pretty purple flowered bush type thing

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've been seeing this little jem growing around the area. It growing like crazy along the fence line of my and the crazy lady next door that doesn't do anything with her house/yard ( I threw wild flowers in her yard this summer though so it looks pretty! hehe)

Anyways...on with the pictures!

This is what the flowers looking:
whatisit.jpg

And it get little "berries" on it as well, this is what the look like:
whatisit2.jpg

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks like Eastern Black Nightshade Solanum ptycanthum to me.

I have it everywhere. All parts of the plant contain solanine and are poisonous to chickens and other pets and people. Although the berries seem to not be poisonous which allows birds to eat the berries and spread the seeds. Once it's established it's hard to get rid of. We've had a wonderful time trying to eradicate it since we don't use pesticides/herbicides.

Just to add, it's related to other nightshade family members; tomatoes, tomatillos, potatoes, eggplants, peppers (capsicum), and others.

Good luck!

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep! We call it Deadly Nightshade. Very pretty..don`t want it in my yard. This was told to me by a wise old landlord back in the day.:happy_flower

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Since your mystery's solved, I just wanted to say that your photos are beautiful! :)

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oooo. So THAT is Deadly Nightshade. I have read about it and wondered. It sounded so mysterious and dangerous. :)

Pretty photos!

Cassandra

pinkflower

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Aren't those deadly nightshades gorgeous?? :p I found some in our yard last year. Pretty purple and yellow flowers that get bright red berries. Don't want to eat 'em though.

KayRI

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've been weeding that for years now. I wouldn't let it get out of hand. Mine is like a vine and will grow over anything it can.. .