What is this?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd like to see if anyone can tell what this is. I have a pack of flower seeds I got free from Burpee as an extra with an order. It's extra as I actually got two and have started the seeds in the other so I don't need it. The first person that gets it and posts on here can have these seeds, but I'll limit it to the US. Mailing them to a different country can get complicated.

Mystery 3.JPG
Mystery 1.JPG
Mystery 2.JPG

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure, and it looks a lot like my wayward asparagus from time to time. Not the way I like them to grow for eating, but they sometimes do get away from me.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You got it. I didn't think it would take long. I decided to just let that asparagus go and see what it did. it kind of reminds me of a cobra.

Lynn, do you want that packet of flower seed? They say to just scatter them on top of the ground.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
your free seed packet had asparagus seeds in or somebody near by grows it and a bird eat the seeds and pooped right there . top photo left is a female the right is a male that is going to fern. why it looks that way lack of nitrogen ,as for the variety my best guess is either jersey giant or Mary Washington...

pull the female and keep the male. let it go to fern, give it a handful of 17-17-17 in june and well watered though the season, once it has died this fall trim back it back to the ground , next april give it 4 handfuls of the same and spread it out...the crown will spread over time.

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do have lots of ground, but then I also have a plethora of seedlings already seeking ground of their own. Probably best to hand them off elsewhere.

Do you want to try another guessing game or just ask who wants Ridgerunner's flower seed?

Ridge, I wouldn't have guess quite so quickly, but I've had the doppelgänger of your stalk growing here in South-est, central-est Wisconsin. I thought it a pervert.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, I guess the first person to ask for them can have them then.

Major says that shows a lack of nitrogen. I'm kind of surprised at that since I did put some compost over them, but I'll make sure they get more nitrogen for next season. They are about done this year, but I have plenty of stuff coming in the garden so I'll still eat well. I like your pervert answer better though. :love

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
red won hands down......
when it to asparagus males rule.....
lets faces it without males the world be dead.........just a bunch of water and dirt...

Last edited:

Latest posts