what is up with my cilantro?

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have stalks of flowers...still smells like cilantro, but no leaves. Will it reseed itself, or do I need to yank and start over?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you see seed heads then leave it alone, let the seeds ripen, and start over again. Cilantro is a fast growing herb, I've had two or three cycles in a season with it in the past.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have you ever harvested for the seeds? One less spice to buy!

Good luck with your next plants. If you have seeds (Did you plant from seed?) still, you could start some now, then harvest this one's seeds. :)

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I bought the plant, I have left the flower heads and am letting it go to seed because I didn't know what or how. As for corriander...the seed itself my DH can't eat, cilantro fine, seed part bad!
So if I let it sit it will reseed itself then?

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Suess said:
I bought the plant, I have left the flower heads and am letting it go to seed because I didn't know what or how. As for corriander...the seed itself my DH can't eat, cilantro fine, seed part bad!
So if I let it sit it will reseed itself then?
We can't grow cilantro her in the summer, it just goes to seed as soon as it comes up. In the winter it grows great here! It soon becomes a weed when it gets going good. I have it all over the garden! I usually just let the volunteers grow where ever they decide to come up.

And for seed, if you have a Mexican Spice area in your grocery stores. Look for the packages of Whole Coriander Seed, and plant those, it is less expensive than the regular seed packages.

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rebbetzn, have been following this thread as I want to grow some myself. So you are saying if I buy the seed whole in the spice section I can grow these? We have a huge mexican spice section at our local store. The seeds are not treated and can grow as any other seed? That would save a lot of money. I looked at cilantro seed the other day at the local nursery and it was 3.00+ a package.

Thanks for sharing your info.:dance

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
heat...darn that stinkin' heat. Okay, so at this point then I will leave it alone, wait to see if it will regrow, or spread its seeds itself to surrounding areas and plan on more come cooler temperatures.
Thanks you guys/gals

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nubsmum said:
Rebbetzn, have been following this thread as I want to grow some myself. So you are saying if I buy the seed whole in the spice section I can grow these? We have a huge mexican spice section at our local store. The seeds are not treated and can grow as any other seed? That would save a lot of money. I looked at cilantro seed the other day at the local nursery and it was 3.00+ a package.

Thanks for sharing your info.:dance
Yep... The seeds in the spice packages work just as good as the stuff in the seed packages and you get tons more seed!! Then each year collect your own and replant it where you want it. Or just let it reseed by itself. Sometimes the volunteer plants are bigger and more flavorful than the ones carefully planted in the garden beds.

Latest posts