What Is Wrong With My Dogwood ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love dogwood trees, I have planted over 10 all died. I finally planted one that survived and even flowered. I was so happy !! But now it doesn't look good. Clay soil, full sun, plenty of water. This will be its 3rd summer afraid it will also be its last.
upload_2017-7-30_16-8-8.png
upload_2017-7-30_16-11-19.png

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dogwoods are better at being understory trees, so maybe the full day of sun is stressing it. Also it looks like you have it in a lawn, which may be less than ideal. Clay soil and a lot of water...maybe the soil is too saturated?

I had one in full sun also, that I finally took out because it was always struggling.

Maybe if you had it in a raised bed,with a good layer of mulch and afternoon shade it would do better in the summer.

Sorry you're having trouble with it, they are some of my favorites too.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hate to try and move, every time I moved a tree it died no matter size.
I think it has to do with good roots and the way that you plant them. I have successfully planted 5 fruit trees. My Amish kicks in when I have bought them, late June, on clearance, so I wasn't comfortable planting them in the summer and that watching my water bill go through the roof, so I bought two tree pots, one had a drain and the other didn't. I lost one apple tree transplanting it to the pot withOUT a drain. ALL of the others developed really good roots before I put them into the ground and I could monitor the amount of watering.
We all know not to buy and plant chrysanthemums in the Fall. They have shallow roots and the northern winters freeze and kill them below ground. We need to plan for 18 inches of freeze, so our trees need to have roots beLOW 18 inches to survive. Several of my fruit trees went into a garden bed, pot and all, buried with compost heaped around them as added measure, then I transplanted them in the spring.
https://www.arborday.org/trees/index-planting.cfm
http://tree-planting.com/tree-planting-4.htm
http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/...s-messy-roots-before-planting-can-1169761.php

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
"First, it is EXTREMELY likely that pots made of terra cotta, clay or any other heavy, stone-like material will indeed shatter if left outside over winter. When the soil inside freezes and thaws, it cracks the poor pots wide open. I've even lost EMPTY pots left outside during really severe winters. So lesson #1: Don't leave stoneware containers outside overwinter if you're gonna get all whiney when they break.

Second, there is a strong possibility that plants left outside in any kind of pot in areas where the temperature drops below freezing will die.Pots simply don't provide the kind of protective insulation for those roots that being buried in the soil does. And you ladies can't use the trickI detailed last week—bringing peppers, impatiens and other tropical plants indoors to provide color in your home over the winter—because the plants named in this week's questions require a certain number of hours of winter chilling to flower correctly, OK?

Now—here are your four basic potted perennial plant options for winter.

1) Plant the plants. Even if you intend to dig them up again in the Spring, these kinds of perennials do best when their roots are tucked into good old garden soil over the winter. (And now through fall is the perfect time to plant!) Just take them out of their pots and put them in the ground anywhere you can find that drains well. If there's absolutely NO room at your place, ask a friend or relative if you can plant them at their house for the winter. Plant at the same depth they were in their pots, and water them well. Water once a week from now till frost if we don't get any rain,and again if we go a month or more without moisture over winter.

2) Plant the pots. Again, not if they're terra cotta. But plastic pots can be 'planted' right in the ground. This may seem foolish, but it actually provides all the benefits of in-ground insulation without any risk of transplant shock—and it protects the plants' roots from underground winter gnawing by voles. Just bury the pots, water as directed above and dig them out again in the Spring.

3) Gather all your pots together, place them against the North or east facing side of your home and cover them a good foot deep in shredded (NOT 'whole'!) leaves after the trees give up their previous "Fall Gold". Tobe safe, I'd remove plants from terra cotta pots and lay the plants down on the ground sideways with as much soil still attached to their root sas possible. (Leave plants inside plastic pots for that little extra vole—and rabbit and mousey—protection.) Dig them out of there as soon as the weather warms up in Spring and put them back out where you want them. You don't have to wait until after the last frost—they can take a chill, just not a really deep freeze."

http://www.gardensalive.com/product/protecting-potted-plants-over-winter/you_bet_your_garden

Latest posts