What is Your Favorite Knife ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am going to a knife fight after work and need suggestions. LOl sorry couldn't help myself, in a bid to eat better I have been eating a lot more fruit and vegetables. I have a really cheap all purpose knife. In the past I open more boxes with it then chop up food. Time to get new knife set, I know some knives can cost a small fortune, not looking for that. What should I look for in a knife, what type is best for fruit and vegetables, whats best for meat?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure I can help. But we have SO MANY knifes here I can always find one to do the job. DH LOVES knifes. If I remember I will ask his opinion and let you know. I do have a small stainless steel paring knife I reach for when peeling and cutting things like potato, apple, carrot, etc. Too short for cutting melons. Then I use one with a serrated edged for slicking tomato, helps get through the skin.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dh likes his Dexters ... for meat slicing, and the 10" cook's knife down the page. Also works great for slicing watermelon and cantaloupe. They are pretty reasonable at restaurant supply stores.

I like the Rada cutlery ... for steak knives, paring knives... I like the stainless handles and they are holding up well, and staying sharp without sharpening. Hand washing is recommended, although I think they say that's best for most knives.

Both Made in USA

Has anyone tried the ceramic knives?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those knives are very reasonable. I have tried ceramic blades for clippers, don't like them because they can't be sharpened . Have to throw away and buy new ones.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those knives are very reasonable. I have tried ceramic blades for clippers, don't like them because they can't be sharpened . Have to throw away and buy new ones.

We have never tried them, just wondered what's so special about them ... the purpose of the ceramic blade.

My truly favorite knife was an antique bread knife that was my grandmas. That thing would slice everything, even tomatoes and cantaloupe, like they were butter... and angel food cake! It has a plastic handle that Dh broke a few weeks ago ... :( ... and he kept putting it in the dishwasher... :smack
I will probably never run across another one, anyone that has one and uses it would never give it up, but I keep looking.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
After decades of using cheap dull knives I finally bought a cheap sharp knife. :D It's a Farberware chef knife and I use it for nearly everything. It's all stainless, including the handle, and the tang goes the whole handle length.
Yep, honing my mad knife skills! Makes dh nervous to watch me chiffonade lettuce, or chop a carrot in 3 seconds flat.

awesome.jpg

joking!

I don't know what I'd do with a really quality knife....probably have a few fingers shorter than they were originally.

Latest posts