What Kind of Soil for an Herb Garden?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
All herbs are not created equal. Some, such as basil, parsley and quite a few others need fertile well drained soil and regular watering while others that tend to come from more arid lands, such as sage, oregano and thyme, will lose their flavor if grown in soil that encourages fast growth. A third category is the in betweeners, such as savory that need fertile soil but are watered less often than your main garden. A former cctus garden should be great for the arid type herbs which like dry relatively poor soil.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, what Hoodat says. Most of them will forgive pretty good if the soil is not just right.

Mints like soil that stays moist, but will struggle along fine in drier soil once they get going. Some mints more than others...common sage is easy, the color leafed ones are picky...

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think you'll have good luck with the soil you have if you choose mediterranean herbs. rosemary and lavender are the two that come to mind. the only way I've found to grow lavender successfully is to plant it on a slope with lots of pea gravel in the soil.

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
hoodat said:
All herbs are not created equal. Some, such as basil, parsley and quite a few others need fertile well drained soil and regular watering while others that tend to come from more arid lands, such as sage, oregano and thyme, will lose their flavor if grown in soil that encourages fast growth. A third category is the in betweeners, such as savory that need fertile soil but are watered less often than your main garden. A former cactus garden should be great for the arid type herbs which like dry relatively poor soil.
Couldn't agree more.. it depends on what herb you are planning to grow.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
nelson castro said:
Couldn't agree more.. it depends on what herb you are planning to grow.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. :/ Here's what I'm considering:

Parsley

Sage

Thyme

Oregano

Mexican coriander

Basil

Of course, I'm open to suggestions. :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Parsley and basil are the only ones on that list that need good garden soil and regular watering. You can plant the rest in rather dry, poor soil. Regular watering till they get established and then taper the water off.

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Based on the list basil and parsley needs fertile well drained soil and regular watering while others that tend to come from more arid lands.